Cheap or free program to tinker with elevations

Old 03-11-19, 03:01 PM
Cheap or free program to tinker with elevations

Is there a cheap, preferably free program that will let me take a straight on photo of an elevation then mess around with it? I want to change or move some windows, maybe add shutters or faux lintels or corbels or quoins or the like. I am not good at picturing "what ifs" I want to dress up the front of my house but I can't afford to experiment. I need to see it on paper.
So does anyone have a suggestion on some software to do this?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-19, 06:29 AM
Group Moderator
Taking a picture and editing it is quite a bit of work. My first guess would be Photoshop but it's not free and it takes some skill to use. Something like Google Sketchup if free and will allow you to draw your elevations though it also has a bit of a learning curve. I find it faster to just draw it out with an olde fashioned pencil and ruler. Graph paper can help.

Old 03-12-19, 09:11 AM
Actually the drawing occurred to me. Just if there were an electronic way to do it it would be fun to do it that way. It would also be a good way to start to learn how to use drawing programs. I have tried a couple and they don't work the way I think.

Old 03-12-19, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
CAD requires a little different frame of mind especially when doing 3D. Most programs operate in a similar manner so once you learn the process it's easier to learn the specific commands and where they are located in each program. If this is the only project you are doing it is quicker to just draw on paper. If you will be doing CAD on a regular basis then it makes sense to learn but if you won't be doing it often enough you'll forget and have to re-learn or at least brush up the next time. It's not a skill I would learn unless you plan to use it.