Free Standing Garage conversion to Veranda, structural advice (pics)

Old 04-01-19, 11:48 AM
Free Standing Garage conversion to Veranda, structural advice (pics)

I have a free-standing single-car garage in my backyard - it will never be used to park a car. I'd like to convert at least half of it into a veranda. Attached photo shows my garage and roughly what I'd like to do with it.

The garage is on a concrete slab. The whole structures is 2x4 stud walls, on 2x4 plates that are laying on the concrete. Eve side headers need to be replaced to accommodate what will be probably a 10foot span. The front corners of the structure appear to be two 2x4s nailed together sitting on the plate.

To get the same type of 'post' effect as the sample photo. How would the front posts be constructed. Could we do a 4x4 in a post holder bolted into the slab? Otherwise, I'm ok with something like the last image (which is my own to-scale drawing) with more frame work than just posts.

I dont plan to do any work beyond my skillset. I will be employing a carpenter but I'd like to scope out the work that likely needs to be done to see if his approach is sound.

Attached Images    

Last edited by joeny1980; 04-01-19 at 12:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-19, 01:34 PM
In order to get the post effect in your sample photo, I would go with 6x6s, in metal post holders and cover the posts with either rough-cut cedar boards or a pvc sleeve made for 6x6 posts.