Covering Existing Fireplace

Old 07-19-19, 06:57 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Covering Existing Fireplace

I am new to this site and need help with a project.

In short, I have a fireplace in my house that the previous owner put stone veneer on and did a bad job of it. We don’t use the fireplace and because of the shape of our living room/den it would be the ideal place to put our tv with furniture. My plan was to cover it completely with drywall and add a shelf/entertainment center. I attached a picture of what it looks like now and what I plan to do.

My concern is whether or not covering it with studs and drywall would be against building code in the event we sell the house in the future because it would make the fireplace unusable. Which isn’t an issue for us because we don’t ever use it. I also apologize if this is in the wrong thread.

https://m.imgur.com/a/igY6k0r

Old 07-19-19, 01:40 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I have never had a code issue with covering a fireplace. You will want to cap the chimney to prevent water, air and rodents from getting in and I would seal/insulate the fire box for better energy efficiency and to prevent condensation on the back side of your new facade.

Old 07-19-19, 02:58 PM
H
@PilotDane We already have a chimney cap and have insulated the fireplace due to having a draft come through from the previous owner not knowing what they were doing. Thank you for the reply!

Old 07-19-19, 03:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
In my area it would be against code to cap or cover a fireplace flue without first completely removing the firebox, flue and chimney. The reasoning is that someday someone could open it back up, start a fire and potentially burn the place down.

You would be wise to ask your local building inspector, it's his opinion that counts.

Old 07-19-19, 08:33 PM
H
Also good info. I will be getting in touch with a fire marshall to find out what I can and cannot do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: