Covering Existing Fireplace

Reply

  #1  
Old 07-19-19, 06:57 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Covering Existing Fireplace


I am new to this site and need help with a project.

In short, I have a fireplace in my house that the previous owner put stone veneer on and did a bad job of it. We donít use the fireplace and because of the shape of our living room/den it would be the ideal place to put our tv with furniture. My plan was to cover it completely with drywall and add a shelf/entertainment center. I attached a picture of what it looks like now and what I plan to do.

My concern is whether or not covering it with studs and drywall would be against building code in the event we sell the house in the future because it would make the fireplace unusable. Which isnít an issue for us because we donít ever use it. I also apologize if this is in the wrong thread.

https://m.imgur.com/a/igY6k0r
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 07-19-19, 01:40 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 20,384
Received 141 Votes on 134 Posts
I have never had a code issue with covering a fireplace. You will want to cap the chimney to prevent water, air and rodents from getting in and I would seal/insulate the fire box for better energy efficiency and to prevent condensation on the back side of your new facade.
 
  #3  
Old 07-19-19, 02:58 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
@PilotDane We already have a chimney cap and have insulated the fireplace due to having a draft come through from the previous owner not knowing what they were doing. Thank you for the reply!
 
  #4  
Old 07-19-19, 03:06 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 22,770
Received 137 Votes on 129 Posts
In my area it would be against code to cap or cover a fireplace flue without first completely removing the firebox, flue and chimney. The reasoning is that someday someone could open it back up, start a fire and potentially burn the place down.

You would be wise to ask your local building inspector, it's his opinion that counts.
 
  #5  
Old 07-19-19, 08:33 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Also good info. I will be getting in touch with a fire marshall to find out what I can and cannot do.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes