Finished Basement Floor Plan Ideas

Old 09-15-20, 12:04 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Finished Basement Floor Plan Ideas

Hello! I’m looking for some suggestions on a floor plan for my basement.

Currently it’s an empty space (only existing wall is adjacent to the stairs) and I’d like to make the space more functional and increase my homes value.

I’d really love to add a basement guest bedroom so I could call the house a 4-bedroom instead of a 3-bedroom when I sell it. I am struggling to fit a decent bedroom in there though without making it feel forced. The basement does have an egress window.

Ive attached a picture of what I’ve sketched up for the floor plan so far. Currently it’s just a small 3-piece bathroom (rough ins for drain lines already installed when the home was built), and I put a wall around the HVAC and water heater to close them off.

It is a small space but I’d like it to serve as much purpose as it can...maybe a small area to lounge in with a tv or a play area for kids, possibly a 4th bedroom.

If a 4th bedroom is out of the picture, what would be a good alternative for adding value?

Thanks!

Old 09-15-20, 03:46 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Personally I think you need to decide what is most important feature you want rather than trying to just add a useless room just because it might add value in the future when you sell.

And, most people dont see a bedroom in a basement the same as they would being in the upper floors!

Old 09-15-20, 08:15 PM
K
I agree with you on viewing the basement bedroom differently. Nobody would really want a live-in family member being down there, it would have to function as a guest bedroom or office.

Our use of the space is tricky since we really don’t even need it. It currently just functions as our storage which is why I was thinking about resale. We are only planning on being here for a few years.

With all this working from home though it would be nice to have a second dedicated office. But no matter how I try to “box” something in down there, it just feels awkward working around the utility closet area and that support column.

Old 09-16-20, 03:32 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Google return on refinish basement and it comes up 70% so better to keep your money in the bank!

Thats why you need to have a use for it because it's not a money maker!

Old 09-16-20, 09:26 AM
K
Yeah a finished basement alone won’t yield any ROI, but surely adding a bedroom and a bathroom would be a different story.

A property manager thinks my home would yield an extra $500 a month with the 4th bedroom and extra bathroom.

i just think it might be too awkward to fit it in though. Mainly because of the column. The same space upstairs fits 2 bedrooms and a bathroom but no column, water heater or furnace are in the way there. I can get a bedroom to work, but it would have too much wasted space...I need to keep looking for some ideas to focus the column around a closet or something so it’s not as awkward.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: