Unique Shed Help

Old 12-11-20, 07:35 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unique Shed Help

Hello!

I'm trying to build my own shed and have taken to a rather difficult design. I'm a novice and I'm looking for books, websites, information I can go learn to build the art shed depicted below. I'm specifically looking for things that will help with the roof!

I have contractors in the family that offered their help but I'd like to get as far as I can before using their invaluable time. Thanks!

Last edited by PJmax; 12-12-20 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-12-20, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,351 Votes on 1,249 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your pictures put your thread into moderation.

Old 12-12-20, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
So you want a $20,000 shed? That's a little complicated... And would be an ambitious project for a "novice".

You should likely start by watching a lot of YouTube videos and by reading a lot of books on framing, and study shed building articles on sites like Family Handyman. The box stores have plenty of books on framing for you to purchase. Gambrel roof framing should be what you read up on in particular.

If you have carpenters in the family, pick their brain rather than putting them to work. They will likely be glad to offer free advice.

Old 12-12-20, 10:14 PM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
Having built, and getting ready to build another garage next year I look at those pictures and question if I would even want to take on something that complex.

Walls, windows and doors are easy, the roof would be the big challenge, lots of unique trim.

Better do some searching for plans they are out there!

Old 12-13-20, 06:56 AM
Received 292 Votes on 262 Posts
I have contractors in the family that offered their help but I'd like to get as far as I can before using their invaluable time. Thanks!
This is what you need. This will also be better than any forum or video. Use the tools at hand. Experience is the best teacher, especially when it's someone else's.

But agree your biting off more than you can chew with the style you're looking at.

Old 12-26-20, 06:31 AM
A
Received 110 Votes on 102 Posts
In terms of building permits and foundations, that thing might need to be classified as a house as opposed to as a shed.

You do not want non-pressure treated siding and similar material to be that close to the ground.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: