Weight that a mantle can hold

Old 12-11-20, 05:44 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weight that a mantle can hold

Hi there. I am a newbie here and I hope I'm posting in the right place. I realize I desperately need something wider and taller on my mantle. What I have now is to small for the space. I want to put a bigger mirror up there but I'm scared that the mantle wouldn't be able to support the weight since I don't know how the mantle is hung on the brick. From what I can tell the mantle is hollow from the back. How much weight could I safely put on the mantle. We've tried hanging something before but the mortar is very soft. It will not let me add more than one pic

Old 12-11-20, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If I was asked to look at that...... I'd want everything off of it. I'd try to slide the mantle off of whatever it's resting on. There may be several hidden screws that hold the mantle from sliding off its mount.

Old 12-11-20, 06:00 PM
R
I think I remember doing something similar to that at one point. I've tried to move it around and it seems pretty sturdy. I am worried about dead weight. Even carefully pushing down on it. If you had to guess, would you say at least 50 pounds?

Old 12-11-20, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 784 Votes on 722 Posts
My guess would be that there is a ledger bolted into the mortar, and the trim has been applied onto that ledger. Judging by the end closest to us, it kind of looks like it is already sagging a little.

Old 12-11-20, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
I couldn't begin to guess at a maximum weight. I do know that the closer you keep the weight to the fireplace face the more you can put on it. It's when the weight comes away from the fireplace where the supports can fail.

You would probably benefit with additional corbels being installed. Mantle corbels

Old 12-11-20, 08:37 PM
R
Love that

Fabulous idea. Thank you!! And yes I would lean it and keep the mirror as close to the brick as possible

Old 12-11-20, 08:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 784 Votes on 722 Posts
To comply with fire code, if you use corbels someday they would probably need to be made of non flammable materials due to their proximity to the firebox opening. Or else be outside the area where combustibles are not permitted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: