Kiln Repair, Information

Old 02-24-07, 07:44 PM
Question Kiln Repair, Information

I have a kiln that i received second hand, it was free. It is from "The Electric Hotpack Company Inc." model 7009, 115 Volts, 15amps, serial # 6867. The kiln was previously used to make glass beads, etc as there is a fair amount of old glass sludge on the bottom of the kiln. I am interested in using it for PMC, and other jewelry uses. There seems to be little wrong with it other than the sludge, and the thermometer doesn't work, but i plugged it in and it got hot!!! I am curious about the process of cleaning out the glass, repairing the bricks, etc. Where can i find info on this process. Most things i have found are repairmen who charge $200 an hour.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-07, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator
Don't know much about kilns but found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hotpack-1200-Watt-110-Volt-Jewelry-and-Laboratory-Kiln_W0QQitemZ250080329893QQihZ015QQcategoryZ12QQcmdZViewItem

Is this what you have?

Old 03-18-07, 10:33 AM
What type of floor?

I'm assuming the floor in your kiln is made of soft IFB bricks? If so, it's a fairly easy task to break those out of there, and put new ones in. How much is the glass melted into them? In some cases, you can just dig this out with a chisel, and keep using the existing bricks. Do you happen to have a picture of the damage?