Decoupage dilemma

Old 02-03-09, 11:24 AM
Exclamation Decoupage dilemma

Greetings, I am new here , I recently took up decoupage, I am using pictures I printed myself on my PC, they are on parchment type paper and I am using liquitex high gloss varnish as my adhesive medium and finishing with a high gloss urethane, .My question is when I apply the medium to the back of the picture and apply it to my wood plaque all is well, then when coating the front area with the medium it makes the ink on the picture run somewhat,is there something I can do to prevent this? or am I doing something wrong from the start? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I researched products to use as an adhesive medium and liquitex seem to be the preffered favorite over the standard modge podge and simple glue and water types.

Last edited by ronin27k; 02-03-09 at 11:25 AM. Reason: misspelled title
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-09, 12:38 PM
Group Moderator
I assume you printed the pictures with an ink jet printer and your coating is disolving or softening the ink.

Try getting a can of spray clear coat. It's with the other spray paints but clear. Print off a test picture, let it dry and give it a light coat of the clear. You don't want to really soak the parchment but just put on enough to protect the ink.

Old 02-06-09, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
Or have them printed commercially on a color laserjet. There should be no problems with running then.

Old 02-14-09, 10:15 AM
decoupage dilemma

Thanks for your replies, as far as the spray would that be like a fixative spray? I will give these both a try, again thansk for your help.