Water that is not water.

Old 07-23-09, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
Water that is not water.

I hope somebody sees this. This thread is not too busy.

I am looking for a friend who is making lamps out of beer bottles. He wants to have it so it looks like there is liquid in the bottle. HE was going to use water but I thought it was a bad idea. I am trying to think of something he can use that looks like water (or beer) but does not cost and arm and leg. The only things I can think of are:
Silacone
Epoxy
Glycerin

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-09, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
Mineral oil, vegetable oil. Here is a sight that gives you the formula for homemade liquid for Lava lights. While he is not making a Lava light the liquid should still work well. How To Make A Lava Lamp, Retro's Basic Formula

Old 07-23-09, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
I like the Mineral oil, vegetable oil idea. Would look like beer too. The lava lamp link is for the ooze. The rest is just water. Thanks Ray!

Anybody else? Keep 'em coming!

Old 07-24-09, 09:05 AM
Group Moderator
Does it need to be a solid or a liquid. If your friend is making a lamp are they drilling a hole in the bottle? In which case something solid (epoxy, acrylic, automotive clear coat), which means more money.

If the bottles are just decoration and can be filled with liquid whats wrong with using the real thing. Beer or water in a sealed bottle will still look like beer/water for a long time, and it's cheap. I have had a bottle of Orbitz Soda sitting on the shelf for 13 or 14 years and it still looks like new.

Old 07-24-09, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Old 07-25-09, 11:47 AM
Group Moderator
@ Dane - The reason I was thinking of a substitute is he is going to run the lamp wire through the bottle. Might not be a good idea to have a lamp core sitting in water/beer.

Shadeladie - Thats what I was invisoning! Thank you very much! (Ooo, spendy though )

Old 07-25-09, 07:48 PM
nap
the mineral oil would be better than vegetable oil. Vegetable oil goes rancid. Mineral oil does not.

You might try to find out about this product. It may be just what you are looking for.

Just don't get caught up in the dihydrogen monoxide stuff. They say it can be deadly but so many people insist on treating it like it's nothing more than water.

Old 08-22-09, 06:59 PM
fiberglass resin, looks like water and can be colored for your application.

it will dry hard though and not slosh around.

Old 08-23-09, 10:45 AM
nap
Originally Posted by printer-man View Post
fiberglass resin, looks like water and can be colored for your application.

it will dry hard though and not slosh around.
slight correction:

there is no such thing as fiberglass resin. Resins used with fiberglass materials are usually polyester or vinylester based materials. Fiberglass refers to the reinforcing material the resins are applied to.

you don't even want to get me started about isophthalic or orthophthalic comparisons

anyway, the resin is a good idea. Be sure to use a "casting" resin. They are made to not shrink (causes cracks) or discolor like a typical poly or vinyl ester resin made for use with fiberglass materials will.

they are intentionally blended to allow a reinforcement free casting be made without the problems you would have using a resin intended to be used with a reinforcing material.

Old 08-23-09, 03:13 PM
darn it!!!
i always say that. a friend of mine builds fiberglass boats and is ALWAYS correcting me and i still can`t get it right.

my aunt makes minatures and scenes and uses the resin for water in wash tubs and ponds in her display scenes

thank-you for the extra information on this as i do not know
about resins in any specifics.

Old 08-23-09, 03:27 PM
nap
no big deal. I was just picking on ya. I had the "joy" of working at a few fiberglass production companies for way too many years and learned to hate the stuff.

well, I guess I always hated it. I just hated it more as each day passed working with the stuff.