stiffen fabric

Old 09-29-10, 07:14 PM
stiffen fabric

how could I stiffen fabric, such as silk, permanently, for art installation purposes. I would like the surface to become long-lasting and allow for it to be able to be cleaned, or at least allow for dust removal?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-10, 12:08 PM
Group Moderator
What are you trying to do? I've done simple decoupage to soaking/spraying many different types of fabric with fiberglass resin (polyester and epoxy), white glue, polyurethane (solvent & water based) and even colored and clear paint. It really depends on what affect you are trying to create and how it will be used.

Old 10-01-10, 07:50 AM
I will try the things you mentioned. Where can one buy fiberglass resin and polyurethane?

I need the material to get firm, as if it were cardboard. But at the same time it needs to be pliable at the making stage. I also want the fabric to get a protective coating, so that it will not collect dirt and dust. It should end up to long lasting, as the objective is to create a three-dimensional art object with layers of silk fabric, that will hang and hold it's shape.Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-01-10, 08:35 AM
Group Moderator
You can get fiberglass resin at most automotive stores, boat supply places or online. The polyester (less expensive) resin has a slight amber color but if it's thinly applied you probably will not notice it. Polyester resin will eat many types of foam. It is the resin sold in a can and has a tiny bottle of hardener.

There are water clear epoxy resins though it will yellow if exposed to UV (sunlight) for long periods. It does not eat foam so it may be easier to work with. It is more expensive and usually sold in two equally sized contains.

Both types of resin will allow you to work with the material while it hardens. Make sure to wear disposable gloves. If you want a longer working time you can refrigerate the resin or work in a cold place. If you want to force it to harden quicker you can apply heat. With a heat gun you can force some sections to stiffen sooner than others.

Old 08-09-14, 04:31 PM
I am working on the same issue. I have researched this a lot; some of the solutions / idea's are; homemade cornstarch " glue"/starch. pavercotton. fabritag.wallpaper paste.of course all the fabric stiffeners. liquid stiffy. clear acryilic. and I just heard about " Jacquard fabric sculpting medium. I have not tried any of these yet. what have you discovered since posting? I will be working with batiks [cottons] thanks!