Painting on a previously glazed ceramic pot

Old 09-13-12, 06:45 AM
Painting on a previously glazed ceramic pot

I have a small ceramic pot that has some type of stenciled/applique design on it that I would like to paint over to cover it up. The design is only on one side of the pot, so if the painting doesn't exactly match the color I wouldn't be too upset (I can turn the pot around so it doesn't show). But really don't like the design at all so even keeping the pot turned now I can see part of it.

Any idea on what type of preparation would be needed to accomplish this (if it can even be done) or what type of paint should be used?

The paint is very shiny (probably the glazing??). Is this something that is purchased at an arts/crafts store or does it have to be taken somewhere where they do kiln work?

Thanks for any help/suggestions you may have!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-12, 02:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know that I've ever painted a ceramic pot but it should be paintable. I'd start by sanding it with 180 grit. You want to scuff up the entire surface that you intend to paint. Then apply a pigmented shellac primer like Zinnser's BIN. You can either brush it on or buy their aerosol can of BIN. The finish coat can be most any paint of your choosing.