Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Recreational Hobbies, Photography, Arts and Crafts > Arts, Crafts, Clay and Ceramic Crafts
Reload this Page > Craft Question- Using an Air compressor for spray painting Hardwood Boxes

Craft Question- Using an Air compressor for spray painting Hardwood Boxes

Old 02-08-14, 09:37 AM
Craft Question- Using an Air compressor for spray painting Hardwood Boxes

Hi All,

I have a question for anyone willing to answer. I'm not a Crafty person, that is left to my better half. She has her own personalised Gift/Hamper business and a lot of the work she does involves painting, using emulsions and other paints onto mainly Hardwood boxes. As you can imagine this can be time consuming, even more so when she has numerous orders coming in. So, rather than hiring staff at this point, I thought about buying her an Air Compressor and she could spray her boxes in probably a fraction of the time it takes at the moment. Something like this.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Alpha-.../dp/B00ENZQ8N6
What do you think? Also, can this kind of machine be used with emulsions, primers and Acrylics?

Thanks in advance

Stu

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-14, 11:40 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

The unit in your link is just the air compressor. That should work fine for your application.
Now you need to look at paint guns. The paint gun determines what kind of paints you can spray.

You can also look into airless sprayers depending on how much spraying you do at one time as there can be a longer cleanup procedure with this type of paint system.

Amazon/uk: airless paint sprayers

Old 02-08-14, 12:04 PM
Group Moderator
To expand on that, here are a few specific examples:

HVLP: no compressor required.

Airless: no compressor required.

Gravity cup gun: compressor and hose required.

Cup spray gun: compressor and hose required.

With each of these examples, prices and quality of the equipment will vary. So you'd have to do your research before picking one. HVLP equipment, for example- you could easy spend over 500 pounds on a setup. In most cases, you get what you pay for.

As you can see from those examples, there are a variety of ways to spray. Not all are suitable for the same purposes. Air is not always the best thing to propel paints or lacquers, and has trouble spraying thick liquids, so the bottom two may not suit your needs. HVLP is probably the best suited for what you will need. The airless sometimes will be touchy if the material is too thick. It just really depends.

I have a gravity gun and a cup gun similar to the 3rd and 4th ones, and spray lacquers and polyurethanes, and sometimes thin paints with them. It gets me by, but it has it's quirks. I also have an airless, similar to the 2nd one... which I use for bigger surfaces, mainly when painting or lacquering. Someday maybe I will graduate to HVLP, but not until I have a need for it. I spray quite a bit of trim (successfully) with what I have, so I'm not going to change my methods just yet. There are just some materials that I won't spray because my equipment won't spray them. So I find a work around by using products that work well with the equipment that I have. There is definitely a learning curve that goes with the equipment, so be prepared if the wife has some trouble at first. It's not rocket science, but it's not as easy as it would seem, either.

Old 02-09-14, 03:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would add that air powered spray guns aren't well suited for spraying latex paints. Latex paint is too coarse and will only spray thru a cup gun when drastically thinned and then it tends to dry on the tip necessitating cleaning before long. An airless is the only spray unit well suited for latex paints.

Old 02-09-14, 06:24 AM
Group Moderator
I've experienced the same thing spraying pretty much anything in the cheap air powered guns that I have. Polyurethane... lacquer... paints... they all start to dry on the tip which creates a sort of icicle clog on the tip. Then you have to be very careful how you clean that clog off or you will plug the tiny air ports on the tip.

Search this Thread