Correct bit for drilling ceramics

Old 04-28-15, 01:10 PM
doc
Correct bit for drilling ceramics

My wife wants me to drill some very small holes into some decorative pieces of ceramic. I'd like the holes to be 1/16". I've been doing a ton of research online and there seems to be lots of opinions as to what kind of bit to use. Also, don't own a dremel tool which leaves me with a cordless drill driver or my friend's drill press. I should also add eventually I'm going to be asked to drill into glass. Can I get some advice on this - especially given the small size of the bits?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-15, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator
Not sure what size, but make sure you put some masking tape down first. Two, to make an X.

Old 04-28-15, 02:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
They sell drill bits both for glass and for tile. Is this decorative ceramic flat? can it be secured well prior to drilling?

Old 04-28-15, 03:07 PM
Why in the world so small?
Explain what it is she's really trying to do.

Old 04-28-15, 04:22 PM
A standard masonry bit will go through ceramic without any problem at all. But I don't think I have ever seen one as small as you want.

Old 04-29-15, 05:37 AM
doc
Thanks for all the replies. Let me address your questions. First, she wants to run some sort of thread or string or wire through the holes - I'm just trying to keep the hole as small as can be. Second, one of the problems I was having was finding a bit this small that wasn't designed for dremel. Third, the pieces are not flat - they're shaped like flowers curved up on the sides. It might be tricky securing it for drilling - I was thinking maybe shaping something out of wood that would cradle it. Sounds like I may have to end up using an 1/8" bit - those seem pretty common.

Old 04-29-15, 08:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It can be challenging to drill into any non flat surface, when you factor in it's a breakable material - that makes it a lot more difficult. I'd probably do my best to get out of the job would it be feasible to fasten the string to it any other way?

Search this Thread