cuckoo clock question

Old 01-28-19, 05:49 AM
cuckoo clock question

Have cuckoo clock that loses about 2 minutes in a 24 hour period. Confused! Do I raise the pendulum weight or lower it?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-19, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
Raise the weight to make the clock faster.

Old 01-28-19, 10:20 AM
+1 on raising to make it run faster. I don't think you can fine tune them that much though.
We bought one on our visit to the Black Forest. I think they are called cuckoo clocks because that's what they do to the owners!

Old 01-28-19, 10:32 AM
I think they are called cuckoo clocks because that's what they do to the owners!
Well stated!

at least 25 characters

Old 03-15-19, 07:51 AM
Friends visited and slept on the fold out bed in the family room. Next morning I noticed the cuckoo clock had stopped and went to restart it. My friends protested strongly and said they needed to get some sleep and that %$*(@ blasted clock woke them up every half hour. They didn't appreciate the clock or my laughing, but we got over it.

Strange how we get used to something like that and never hear it.

Bud

Old 03-15-19, 08:21 AM
I have one in my vacation home. It has small wire latches above the doors to keep them shut. Fortunately it is mounted in the hallway on the way to the master bedroom, so it is easy to remember to reach up and "gag the bird" on the way to bed. The weights have to be lifted once a day so ungagging takes place in the morning when I do that. The mechanism goes through a complete cycle striking 12 (and sometimes 13) and then the song. My grandchildren love it so much that it has become a ceremony.

Old 03-15-19, 08:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My parents had a cuckoo clock when I was child. Always thought it was kind of neat but I'm not sure I'd have the same opinion today if I was around one very long. I don't know how accurate theirs was at keeping time but back then were there any clocks other than the better electric clocks that kept good time? Back then resetting the time every week or so was commonplace.