Painting a gypsum plaster cast

Old 04-24-20, 09:00 AM
T
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Painting a gypsum plaster cast

I have cast a plaster cast. It is probably dry enough to paint or will be by the time I get around to buying paint. Do I need to seal the plaster before I paint it with acrylic paint? If so with what? Do I paint first then seal? Is acrylic the best to paint it? I am thinking for ease of cleaning brushes that acrylic is my paint of choice.
Anything else I should know about painting a gypsum plaster cast?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-20, 10:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 211 Votes on 188 Posts
A latex primer should be fine. Depending on how much you have to do, you could probably get by with just applying a couple of coats of your finish paint. If you go that route, I'd thin the first coat about 10%.

Old 04-24-20, 07:30 PM
T
I should have explained more. This will be an art object, a flying eagle painted like a bald eagle. White head and tail and wings and breast to look lifelike if possible. Does that change the advice? I figure on using artists acrylic paints.

Old 04-25-20, 02:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 211 Votes on 188 Posts
I don't know much about artist paints but I'd assume you'd want a primer or base coat applied first.

Old 04-25-20, 05:12 PM
T
Well, my mother-in-law lives with us. She is pretty talented art wise. I made a few of these casts and I offered for her to paint one. I could use ordinary acrylic paints but I would have to buy several little cans to get the colors. Of course I have not priced artist colors. Maybe I would be just as well buying samples at a paint department. And upon further thought, yes it seems like a primer would be a good idea so colors can be blended without absorbing into the dry plaster immediately. I will let you know if this all works out.
Thanks for the help. I understand plaster very well. I don't know much about paint. I also made a couple casts in Portland cement mix. These should stand up outdoors. I think I will leave them natural or a flat black. Now the mold is pretty well worn down. The definition is OK for outside from a distance but not as good for an art object.