Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Bamboo and Exotic Wood Floors
Reload this Page >

Solid Bamboo on 3/4" SubFloor w/Dips... Is Glueing down Smart or Dumb?

Old 12-09-05, 03:44 AM
bradesp
Visiting Guest

I have a beach front home underconstruction on Coastal NC. I'm putting Bamboo in common areas on both the first and second floor.

THe sub-floor is 3/4" cdx plywood that has been screwed and glued to trusses that are 19" on center.

Because the house suffered a great deal of rain prior to be dried in, I have the expected dips and valleys in the sub-floor. Not horrible, but enough to concern me that it will telegraph through the bamboo.

I've spoken to one installer that is recommending he GLUE the solid T&G bamboo down and in doing so, he'll be able to take most of the sub-floor dips "out". He also complained that the bamboo is so hard, that nailing it isn't as secure and will result in more movement and squeaks.

If it were your house, what would you do? What kind of installation method would you choose, and what ideas, if any, might you offer for helping to elimiinate the sub-floor issues?

Lastly, it occurs to me that if I ever need to replace/repair a section of this flooring that removing the glue-down will result in tearing up some of the wood sub-floor with it... this worries me a little.

THanks in advance for your advice!!!

bradesp

Old 12-09-05, 08:47 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Subfloor should be flat. High spots can be sanded down and low spots filled with self-leveling compound. Follow manufacturer's recommended installation instructions.

Old 12-09-05, 09:02 AM
bradesp
Visiting Guest
twelvepole,

I've researched using a self lever, but they generally require a minimum pour thickness of 1/2 - 3/4" thickness and they're very expensive. My sub-floor dips are about 3/16", so self leveling compound doesn't strike me as a viable option.

Am I missing something.

Old 12-10-05, 07:29 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sand it. Fill it. Self levelers may not work for your application but products like Ardex sd-f will. If the floor is not flat before the bamboo goes in it won't be flat after. New plywood would be a better option. You are paying for a new home, not a damaged home, why are you looking to repair something that is owed to you by the builder?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: