Floating Bamboo Floor Making Popping Noise

Old 12-22-06, 03:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Floating Bamboo Floor Making Popping Noise

I just had a floor put in about 3 weeks ago and it looks great, however in this one particular spot when I walk on it there is a popping/crackling noise. What does this mean? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-06, 11:28 AM
I don't understand the "Floating Floor" Craze. I think it's just laziness on the installers part. If your floor is not 100% flat you are going to have problems with floating floors unless you somehow made them flat prior to the install.

If you want it done right use both a thick glue that will fill uneven floors and nails to hold it down and keep it down. Most likely you floors make noise becasue their is a void under that section and it bends when you walk on it.

Old 12-26-06, 12:08 PM
Are you sure you've got bamboo? I'm not saying they don't exist, but I've never seen a real bamboo floor built as an engineered floating floor. All the floating bamboo I've seen is laminate look alike. Just a thought, but sometimes glued down floors that are'nt nailed also and have voids under them will make noise because the glue "pops" each time that area is stepped on until the glue dries out.

Old 12-30-06, 08:06 AM
floating bamboo

Floating floors are good for home owners who just want to put down a pretty floor at have the time and cost.Not to mention there is a whole lot less of work to be done when you install a floating floor.There not being cheap,
because you can install a floating floor and it look better than real hardwood itself.One thing to consider about the popping noise is yes, the void underneth is more or likely the cause of the problem.Also look at the fact of the type of underlayment you have underneth.If your flooring wasnt completly flat during the install and you dont have the correct underlayment to help level out the flooring your definitly gonna have some noisy problems.
You dont glue "Down" floating floors but you can glue the tongue and groove of the flooring pieces.Again, make sure you have the correct underlayment to avoid any problems and before anything you MUST make sure your floor is level.I suggest if not a self leveling system then use a 6 Mil. cork underlayment.Its the thicker of the cork underlayments and has enough density to hold resistance for the leveling.

Old 01-18-07, 05:15 AM
Been installing floors a long time and I have to say if there is a void making it pop it is a deep one and you will see the whole floor sink as you walk over it.I am inclined to think there is contamination under the floor or the tongue/groove is split and the pop is it going in and out of the lock.

I have seen laminate floors squeak, expand beyond specs, cup, shrink and a variety of other odd wierd things but they only time I heard a pop was when the tongue had split from the bottom of the board.

Old 01-23-07, 11:33 PM
Cool The joy of glued floors

Originally Posted by maddy1 View Post
I just had a floor put in about 3 weeks ago and it looks great, however in this one particular spot when I walk on it there is a popping/crackling noise. What does this mean? Thanks.
Sounds like the glue has let go in that area , The noise is when you walk on it it presses down onto the sticky surface of the glue and when you move off it the glue lets go with a clicking sound ,
Try laying a straight edge over the area and get someone step on the floor watch for the floor moving down and then coming back up with a click ,play detective ! the movement could only be a fraction of a inch 1/32 or less so you have to get on you knees with a light on the otherside shining on the flooring so you can see the movenment .

Old 01-27-07, 07:15 AM
Floating floor.... No glue

Popping and crackling....

The floor may have expanded some, taking up the expansion space left around the perimeter, and now is tight. This puts a lot of pressure in the floor and is trying to buckle. When you step on the slightly(un-noticable) buckled spot, it presses down a very little, and with the edges being compressed from the expansion, the edges of the boards rub each other, causing the noise you hear.

The other cause is from what has already been mentioned, above.

Old 02-09-07, 05:27 AM
Floating floors usually are installed over a little layer of foam sheet. If they didn't put that sheet down first, you'll get creaky spots.