Moisture Barrier

Old 11-23-09, 04:15 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moisture Barrier

Just a couple of quick questions about installing a stranded bamboo on concrete by gluing it down.

First, do you absolutely need a moisture barrier? I've been told by several individuals (including Lumber Liquidators salesmen) that it is not needed for this type of flooring. They're argument is that stranded bamboo is very stable and coated a bit on the bottom as well as top to prevent water damage/warping. The installer that came out to provide the estimate said that it's only needed if the slab is newer and still emitting moisture from the curing process. Is this in line with what you've all heard?

Also, we have paint overspray on the cement from the initial construction. I'd rather not have scrape all of that off, so I was wondering if spreading the moisture barrier on top of the slab would help by also covering up the paint, thus providing a proper surface to glue the bamboo to.

Thanks in advance for your responses..

Old 11-23-09, 05:45 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi Jason and welcome to the forum. Not a pro on this subject, but will provide what I can.

First, I will assume this is a slab on grade and not a basement. Next, bamboo should be treated the same as a hardwood floor for installation considerations.

The links attached will explain better than I can. Basically, follow the mfg's installation instructions to the letter, that includes making sure the installer does the same. If they want to use a different adhesive, you use a different contractor.

The link BSI-003 has another link at the bottom on slabs. The reason I included it is to illustrate how a slab should have been constructed. Since you probably weren't there, the next step is to measure the moisture content, don't assume. If you don't have a reading the mfg accepts, you don't have a warranty.

I'll let you read the rest. Hardwood Floors On Concrete - Traditional Methods. Screeds/Plywood

Glue Down Hardwood Floors - What's Involved? How? Photos

Bamboo Flooring Introduction

BSI-003: Concrete Floor Problems —

I hope this helps.
Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: