bamboo floors and spills?

Old 02-08-11, 12:12 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bamboo floors and spills?

Hi, I'm considering putting Bamboo click and lock floors in a space where I will be hosting some parties. How does the bamboo hold up for spills? Especially noting that at a party sometimes something gets spilled and doesn't get wiped up right away. Any thoughts?

Old 02-08-11, 12:28 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Anything with seams is prone to moisture seeping down in between the boards

Personally, I would not put any click and lock in an area where spills were likely

Old 02-09-11, 04:02 PM
S
Normal spills will not cause any problems with click lock flooring. A quality click product has seams that are very tight. This type of flooring has been used in kitchens for years, it is a completely appropriate choice for the area you are describing. What will cause problems is repeated exposure to significant moisture, particularly in the same spot. Melting snow from shoes or a pet bowl that is repeatedly spilled, for instance.

Old 02-09-11, 07:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I think we may be talking apples and pears, and don't know which one the OP prefers. One thing, 8 mm laminate, made mostly of mdf is not exactly what I would want in a moist area. It will be affected by water more than the second choice (pears) of engineered flooring (5/8" or so thick). Elleluck, which type flooring are you contemplating? I believe our answers can come closer to "good advice" if we knew.

Old 02-10-11, 01:39 PM
E
Thanks for responding... I am considering click and lock engineered floor from Bamboo Importers. I'm also going to put a 3/8ths inch Rubber underlay to give some bounce from the concrete floor. This is going to be a yoga and dance studio, so I need a little cushion.
Any thoughts at all you have from spills to possible issues with the rubber under click lock, I'd be glad for the advice.
thanks,E

Old 02-11-11, 05:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Check with the manufacturer's specifications on their underlayment. Too soft an underlayment may cause the wood to crack at the tongue and groove when pressure is applied. I believe you will find a 3/8" underlayment too soft, but if the manufacturer gives their blessing, so be it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: