Float or not float bamboo flooring

Old 06-02-11, 06:44 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Float or not float bamboo flooring

I have been given conflicting advice on bamboo flooring. Planks should be no less that 4 1/2" wide. T&G planks 3 3/4" wide are okay to float. Your advice?

Old 06-03-11, 04:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I prefer the nail down 3/4" carbonized bamboo. If you need to float the floor, I would look for 5/8" (at least) engineered click lock flooring. Goes down in a breeze. Laminate flooring is not really bamboo, so that's out.

Old 01-13-12, 01:37 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you use click, do yourself a big favor and slide together the whole room width before you snap it into the previous row. When you click and then bang them together with the hook bar, the previous row can slide even with spacer. If you do the snap and slide, be prepared to need twice as many end spacers as come in the kit.

Transitions are just a royal pain. It takes a lot of work to notch the board so it is 3/8" from the wall, then fits to the door framing stud and under the door casing and then into the door frame. it is almost impossible to make one that will slide into the tongue or groove of a previous board because of the rough framing and door casing. Unless you are willing to live with gaps, you can't just let it drop in because the door casings will block it. Or remove the door casings.

I did a lot of research and found some knock off the under part of the click, make a transition that will slide straight in and and glue it down, some live with a poor fit at the door casing and fill it in with putty. With the first method you have to pay attention to where the tongue and grooves are for the adjacent parts. If you try to cut just the transition you will have to make a tongue or groove for the rest of the row.

Do your research . . . and practice.

Ron

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: