Bamboo flooring - will it stand up to how I intend to use it?

Old 01-25-12, 03:33 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bamboo flooring - will it stand up to how I intend to use it?

I am considering having Bamboo installed in my house that sits on sand as Bamboo is considered very strong. However my flooring will also be exposed to wet conditions. And if in the kitchen, I am concerned about cleaning the floor. Can Bamboo be successfully steam cleaned? Or what is the best way to clean it - given it will be in a high traffic area where people spill food on the floor. I wash my ceramic a minimum of every 3 days due to food spills. Thank you

Old 01-26-12, 03:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You gotta clear some stuff up. Your house sits on sand. Does it have a foundation, footings, floor framing? Trying to figure what the sand has to do with the bamboo installation. Sand on your feet will wreak havoc on any wood floor, so don't let anyone tell you differently. Installing any wood product in a kitchen is questionable. I have done it for clients and it has weathered well, but there will be a time, eventually, when there will be an inordinate amount of water, either from a leaking pipe to a leaking drain to a dishwasher breaking, etc. At that time the wood will become unstable and will need removing and replacing. Your have ceramic now, do you not like it? Wet mopping or steam cleaning any wood floor will cause problems. You can wet mop ceramic, but wood will require much more special care. Bamboo is tough. I have installed it for others, and liked it so much I installed it in my rental cabin. It wears well, and it is a renewable resource. Others will be along with varying opinions, so wait for their comments as well.

Old 01-26-12, 10:24 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood and water are never friends, and when they meet, water always wins the fight. I had bamboo once when I lived in a humid Asian climate and it was excellent for that in the living room area, especially considering that is the climate it normally grows , but I also had it in the kitchen, and while it looked great, water was spilled and as Chandler already said, some of it needed to be replaced. In your situation I would stay with something like Ceramic, or other more water friendly options if it was mine decision.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: