new Hardwood

Old 04-30-12, 06:38 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new Hardwood

I am installing new hardwood floors in my house and was curious as to whether or not I should remove the old flooring first? There is a subfloor and then original hardwood and then click laminate installed on top. Should I remove atleast one set of flooring? the laminate is in awful condition as well as the original hardwood.
any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 04-30-12, 07:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
The laminate has to be removed! The original hardwood might be ok to leave in place - is it solid? level? will the additional height be an issue if the original hardwood is left in place?

Old 05-01-12, 07:12 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Subfloor Suggestions

You might try looking into 1/4 inch plywood to put over the hardwood. It will help to level out the bad spots that the old wood will invariably have. I would recommend using a Plainer or Jam Saw to knock down any high spots first though. Good Luck!

Old 05-01-12, 04:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I'm afraid you will run into the problem Marksr mentioned about the new floor really being higher than you can tolerate, considering cabinetry, doors, jambs, thresholds, etc. 1/4" plywood only adds to that problem and shouldn't be used as a base for new hardwood. After checking for problems we mentioned, I believe you will come to the conclusion all the hardwood needs to be removed and a fresh start made. Pictures would help if you care to share them. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: