Why Not Bamboo?

Old 09-09-12, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why Not Bamboo?

So my research is telling me that bamboo is a terrific alternative in so many ways to wood.

We need to pull out old carpet in an above grade guest bedroom (~170sf) and want to do wood (or grass, I guess).

The bamboo products I've seen look nice and are significantly less expensive than most wood flooring options.

My wife is dubious (old fashioned Southern girl), but I'm not seeing any downsides.

Are there any?

Old 09-09-12, 08:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I have installed caramelized toasted bamboo in 5/8" x 3 1/2" staple down in two jobs, my own weekend rental cabin and will install 950 sf on Wednesday for a client. It seems to wear well (35 year warranty), and is a renewable resource. Once the bamboo is cut, before it can be loaded on the truck, the stump has grown 24" of bamboo, so it grows rather fast. Maybe that is why it is as inexpensive as you have seen. I think HD has their brand for about $1.88 sf. So far, I have seen no downsides. Maybe others have had other experiences, so we'll wait on their comments.

Old 09-10-12, 07:01 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Can't tell you what they are but I've heard there are some wear and appearance differences based on the way the bamboo is cut.

Bamboo is considered a green choice based on how quickly the product replenishes itself in nature.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: