How to dry out moisture underneath cork flooring?

Old 06-28-13, 07:05 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to dry out moisture underneath cork flooring?

One of our radiators was leaking some this winter. It was just a slow drip, but unfortunately I didn't notice until it had been going for a while, resulting in a not insignificant amount of water dripping onto the cork floor below, and seeping into it.

I've put a fan and dehumidier in that area to help dry it out, but I'm guessing there's a fair amount of moisture still trapped underneath. What's the best way to get at this? Besides removing the cork tiling altogether, that is -- I'm hoping this is not necessary to do (but let me know if it is).

Would pointing a heater at this area help to release some of the moisture, which the dehumidifer could then suck up? Or is that not really sound?

Another thought was to drill some holes in the tiles. However, I'd of course have to then fill these later, and I'm not sure if there's a good solution for that.

Due to the moisture, there's now about a 4 ft x 4 ft around there where the cork floor has expanded and is higher than the rest of the floor. I'm guessing there's no fix for that besides replacement? This unlevel area isn't a huge deal to me, but I'm just checking.

thanks!

Old 06-28-13, 07:23 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you do not remove the flooring, molds going to set in under it and rot out the subfloor and can make you sick.

Old 07-03-13, 01:59 PM
A
Ok, thanks Joe. I guess I'll go ahead and do that then.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: