Basement Floor Tile - How to handle sewer access port in floor?

Old 09-29-13, 10:12 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Basement Floor Tile - How to handle sewer access port in floor?

Hi folks --

First post here so hoping with all of the collective experience you all can help me. We have a concrete basement floor that previously had laminate flooring but with rains over the past few years we have had water come in (it is rare, but enough to damage the flooring). We're thinking to ditch the laminate and replace with tile which can stand up to the occasional water infiltration.

My question: Recessed into the concrete floor (and underneath a wooden access door) is the access port to the sewer line that goes out to the street. What would be our options for the floor given this? I could imagine tiling over it and taking our chances that we won't need to access it but are there others to consider?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-29-13, 10:27 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
While there are many houses out there without a cleanout for the sewer line, you should feel fortunate that you have one. Without access, in the event of a clog, the plumber would have to dig and install one in order to clear the lines - a very costly operation. Entombing it under a tile floor would not be wise IMO.

Send us pictures of the area and we can get a better feel for what you are looking at.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: