How to fasten underlayment

Old 12-08-13, 08:05 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to fasten underlayment

Hi, all. Looks like a terrific resource you've created here. Hope this isn't too dumb a question.

I'm installing a solid woven strand bamboo floor, that spans our family room and adjacent kitchen/dinette. Family room I toreout carpet, while the kitchen/dinette is sheet vinyl. There is 5mm underlayment under the vinyl, and the cabinets are on top of that layer. So my plan is to pull up just the vinyl, then add a similar layer of underlayment where the carpet used to be, to make everything level.

If I was putting vinyl on the new underlayment, I'd rent the air-powered stapler and fasten it down thoroughly. I'm planning to nail the bamboo, not float or glue it. Seems like that's plenty of mechanical fasteners for the underlayment. Can I just put a few nails in to hold the underlayment in place until I get the bamboo installed?

Thanks.

Old 12-09-13, 07:29 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
I would be inclined to remove the 1/4" and then assess the structure of the subfloor to verify that you will have a successful install. What is under the 1/4"? What is the size and spacing of the floor joist system under the plywood? Assuming 16" OC joists of sufficient size, I would want a minimum of 3/4" T&G Advantech (or equivalent) as a base for the flooring. 1/2" is not sufficient and Particle board is never recommended regardless of how thick. You will want everything under the bamboo to be securely and mechanically fastened to prevent creeks and squeeks from a noisy floor down the road. You also want a sturdy and as solid of a surface as possible for your cleats to grab. If the first portion of the cleat is trying to hold onto a weak 1/4" non-fastened plywood, you have reduced the holding power of the fastener. You want full bite of the fastener into a solid piece of at least 3/4" material.

Old 12-10-13, 06:46 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The floor joists are 2x10's on 16" centers. Subfloors are a double layer of OSB, with a total thickness of 1-3/4 inches. So I'm reasonably confident that the subfloors are up to the task.

Old 12-10-13, 08:00 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Is that a double 3/4" plus your 1/4"? to get your 1 3/4" thickness? Again, would remove the 1/4" as it is not adding any strength to the subfloor set up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: