stair backing to be painted

Old 02-18-14, 06:57 AM
Received 291 Votes on 261 Posts
stair backing to be painted

My son removed his carpeting and is installing hardwood floors. He wants the stairway going to the 2nd floor to be hardwood also but only the stair tread not the backing. He wants to paint the backing white to match rest of trim in the house (apparently the latest style). He stripped off all the carpeting and found that the backing or riser section is rough wood and not worth sanding down. He wants to glue/nail or whatever some type of thin veneer to the backing to accept paint. The important part is that it be thin so as not to take away from the step width. My first thought was Luann underlayment, but I don't think that would be a good choice due to softness and porosity. Anything thicker would not be considered. Any suggestions?

Old 02-18-14, 07:09 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Treads are to be removed, easy at that time to remove the risers and replace. If this is not an option, keep in mind that if the treads butt up to the risers, it does not matter really how thick the riser is, it doesn't change the width of the tread. You also would want some thickness so that you can mask the edges with your trim medallion so it doesn't look like ply from the side. Closed or open tread design?

Old 02-18-14, 08:03 AM
Received 291 Votes on 261 Posts
I don't think the backing can be easily removed. Closed disign. The sides won't be seen. The actual laying of the hardwood is being done by professionals, but everything must be prepared ahead of time. Good point about the tread butting against the riser.

Old 02-18-14, 10:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I've painted many stair cases and stained treads for builders and I always charged more if I couldn't do most of the work prior to installation. It's easier/quicker to prime/paint or stain/poly the parts before they are installed! You still have to sand, putty and caulk and apply the final coat after installation but that also means you only tie up the staircase one time for the coating application and drying process.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: