Bamboo Floor Seperation

Old 02-23-14, 06:17 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bamboo Floor Seperation

Hello,
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on my flooring issue. About two years ago I installed click n lock, strand bamboo flooring. It is a floating system atop of a plywood base. It is on the 3rd/top floor of my condo building. It is in northern Illinois, so very dry winters and humid summers. Prior to the install, the wood was in my unit for over a month to acclimate. The install went fine and no issues for the two year since. Then more recently, in the past several winter month this spacing has been growing. I would really prefer NOT to pull up all the boards and relay them. I would be fine patching it instead. Any advice on what repair methods I should explore and if I should wait for spring/summer to see if the humidity alters the spacing?

Thanks for all your help, please let me know if you need more info.

Attached Images   
Old 02-24-14, 04:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums. You may can drive the joints back together by removing the shoe molding closest to the cracks, inserting a hook type flooring tool and driving it all together. Lots easier than pulling it all up.

Old 02-24-14, 01:51 PM
J
thanks chandler, ill check to see what i can find. just replacing the shoe molding would be a lot simpler if i can hammer the floor in place

Old 02-24-14, 04:00 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
I would take a large pry bar and use the base molding for leverage. Place a metal putty knife between the molding and the pry bar. I think that there was probably some junk in the groove of the click lock system. The joint never really closed properly. It separated when the humidity in the house alone with the winter heating season was just right to pop it loose.

I would also be curious as to what is in the room adjacent to the hall. Is it a bathroom? Could there be moisture under the flooring that has caused excessive expansion?

Old 02-25-14, 12:54 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Just a wild guess, but is the manufacturer of your bamboo flooring "Home Legend"?

Old 03-22-14, 12:39 AM
A
Manufacturer

joesolo

As a followup to mossman's question: who is the manufacturer of your bamboo flooring? Did you get it from one of the big box stores?

Old 03-22-14, 05:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I don't know where we are going with questioning about the origin of the flooring, but bashing will not be tolerated. Incidentally, I have laid several thousand square feet of the flooring in question without problems. Nail down, not click lock.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: