Help with strained bamboo

Old 08-03-14, 10:29 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with strained bamboo

I have about 2000 sq ft of Morning Star 9/16" x 5-1/8" Handscraped Strand Anji Bamboo. Currently there is carpet down and I guess to get the carpet to a certain level they put down 1" OSB on top of the 1/2" plywood. There looks like felt paper between the two so that is a plus. All of that is leading up to my questions.....
First of all the biggest question is do I tear up the OSB/particle board and put down more plywood (1/2'), just put down 1/4" or 1/2" plywood, or would I continue with the moisture barrier on top of the OSB and continue installing the floor with the 1 3/4" cleats?

Second question, moisture barrier material? Morning star 15lb felt paper will work at a minimum or white Silicon Vapor ShieldŽ paper and I am on some what of a budget. However, I don't want a couple hundred dollars costing me a couple thousand anywhere throughout this process.

Next question, at what point does it matter running the planks perpendicular to the joists? Like I am I fine with perpendicular or parallel with the sub floor existing configuration?

Anymore advise with the install is welcomed!

Colby

Old 08-03-14, 10:38 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
You can not use OSB and particleboard in the same sentence, it is either one or the other. If particleboard, it has to come out. It is basically wood dust held together with glue. There is not enough holding power for your cleats. I also doubt whatever it is is 1" thick. Particleboard is usually 5/8" thick.

Your optimal subfloor would be 1/2" ply with 3/4" Advantech or similar on top. The Advantech is designed for exactly what you plan to install. Superior holding power for your cleats. 3/4" is the recommended minimum, so you can't just pull the top layer and install over the 1/2" that you already have. And it would be senseless to pull the 1/2" prior to adding the 3/4". For a nail down, felt paper is fine.

Perpendicular to the floor joists is recommended to prevent sag that may happen in the areas between the joists. This would give the floor a wavy appearance. It also makes for a stronger floor if you go perpendicular.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: