100 year old redwood planks under years of linoleum and carpet

Old 11-30-14, 09:15 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
100 year old redwood planks under years of linoleum and carpet

So we have an old farm house in nor cal we are doing a reno on. It was built in 1904. The original home was redwood construction. I've removed the linoleum the glues. Plained. Sanded. Used natural rope to fill gaps. It's beautiful. Now what shall I do to finish it. Low traffic area. Our bedroom. I'm so stumped. This has been a labor of love and I do not want to cover them up. Every piece of wood has its own look. Story. And heart. Help. I have pictures.

Old 11-30-14, 09:33 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I imagine that a transparent stain would be the first choice. Don't use a solid stain. That way you can still see the wood.

Old 11-30-14, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Hmmm...stain? I think poly would be a better choice? Oil based will wear better, but water based is easier to apply.

Though...

Does poly work well with redwood? Being that old I would think the natural oils would be gone?

Old 11-30-14, 10:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I assume this redwood is an interior floor and not an exterior deck.

Poly is the preferred coating to use. I doubt I'd use a stain first, just 2-4 coats of poly. While tannin bleed can be an issue with waterbased coatings, since you are apply a clear and not a white or light pastel - it shouldn't be an issue. Redwood is generally fairly soft so don't expect to get the same wear that you would out of a hardwood floor.

Old 11-30-14, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
He said low traffic and it's a bedroom...that's why I said poly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: