Exotic Flooring Question?

Old 09-11-15, 02:47 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exotic Flooring Question?

When deciding between Brazilian Rosewood and American Walnut from an installer, what things should I keep in mind? This is for my entire downstairs and I like the look of both. Was wondering if there are any specifics I should keep in mind as I make my decision?

Old 09-11-15, 02:56 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Downstairs - above ground or basement?

Old 09-11-15, 04:32 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
DC

How will the floor be installed? float, glue or nail
-If nailed, what is the subfloor makeup and thickness and overall construction (16"oc 24"oc?)
Will they screw the subfloor down before installation?
How will the baseboards be treated? Removed/replaced over the floor or just cut the floor to them
How will the doors and thresholds be treated? Transitions at each door or continuous lay
How will the entry doors, patio doors, fireplace surrounds, other obstructions without baseboards be handled
What is the acclimation period?
Who will be responsible for moving furniture and other obstructions?
What is the wear warranty of each of the floors?
Are they random length boards or all the same size? Minimum stagger best practices?
If the room is large, do they start in the middle and work out in both directions with a spline? or start at one wall and go for it all in one direction.

That will get you a start. Let us know more about the floors and provide links if possible. Answer as many of the above as you may already know to keep us on the same page.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: