Dispute A Credit Card Charge ?

Old 01-06-18, 03:08 PM
Dispute A Credit Card Charge ?

Son was out of town, car wouldn't start just click. Calls for a jump, it's your starter. They tow it in, new starter and it fires right up.

He drives 2 hours to pick it up, they were closed today, it starts but makes the most God Awful grinding noise when cranking.. Tries again, same terrible noise, never had that before. He drove it home and will bring to a local garage tomorrow.

Does anyone know what happens when he disputes the $500 charge if they did terrible work? Charge went through this morning but I told him to dispute it soon as he gets home.

I could only find a couple reviews and these guys sound like a real piece of work.

I don't know what else to tell him.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-18, 03:13 PM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately you need to give them a chance to reconcile. Even if it means they send a wrecker for it. If you have the work done here.... it isn't going to be so easy.

If he needs a vehicle.... rent one and get it taken off the bill.

Old 01-06-18, 03:43 PM
Group Moderator
I would contact the shop first and work it out with them. If you son disputes the charge the first thing the credit card company will do is contact the garage and they will provide a copy of the receipt showing that they performed the work. The charge is correct and valid. You're just not happy with the results. It's sorta like ordering a pair of shoes online and when they arrive you don't like them so you contest the credit card charge instead of returning them.

Old 01-06-18, 07:59 PM
Totally baffled now. Drove it home then tried the starter 3-4 times and it sounded just fine. Thinking it might be because it was warm he left it outside for a couple hours and then it started like normal with no grinding sound.

I guess this whole thing can be deleted.

Many years ago I found a charge on my CC where someone charged me for making me a web page so I disputed it. CC company called me and asked if I had a web page...NO. That was it, charge disappeared. Now that I think about it I wonder how the place could have my CC information.

Oh well, thanks guys.

Old 01-07-18, 05:33 AM
Well, you weren't crazy and there is one more step. You should still notify the repair shop as to what transpired so problem is on record in the event it returns.Whether the CC company could do anything 6 months from now or not I have no idea, but if the problem returns a reputable shop might still help. In any case, their response will tell you a lot about them. Ideally they could tell you to have a local shop check it out and they will pay for that work.

Bud

Old 01-07-18, 06:37 AM
That grinding noise could be caused by a number of things. My first thought was that it not fully tightened against the engine block housing. Could've been a piece of debris.
Here's my question...If it made a god awful noise when he picked it up, why did he not say something at that time? Fact is if it did it once it will happen again. Have it checked out!

Old 01-07-18, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
You should always look over your credit card statement. Nether world hackers and thieves are always at work trying to sneak charges through. They've gotten smarter and sometimes just put through one or two charges hoping they go unnoticed. So, if there is something on your statement you don't recognize call the number (hopefully it's on your statement) to find out if it's something you forgot. If it's bogus contest it immediately.

Old 01-08-18, 05:56 AM
Group Moderator
Most of the garages I deal with would want you to bring the vehicle in and have them check it out for obvious problems like what Norm mentioned. Also possible it's totally unrelated to the starter work; shops get blamed all the time for unrelated stuff just because they touched it last.

Old 01-08-18, 06:28 AM
I've successfully disputed several charges, some totally bogus, some involving warranty issues and some automatic service renewals (one that I detest the most) . . . . but one thing they all have in common is that the Credit Card Company has first asked if we tried to work the problem out BEFORE they will contact the Merchant/Vendor. The more money that is involved, the more likely they will insist that this be done before they become involved.

Old 01-08-18, 08:47 AM
.If it made a god awful noise when he picked it up, why did he not say something at that time? Fact is if it did it once it will happen again. Have it checked out!

He couldn't say anything because they closed at noon, he couldn't be there that early. I'm sure he'd like to bring it back but we're talking a 4 hour drive there and back. For a starter? It does have a 1 year warranty but then consider the drive, they are busy and time for them is premium. Like my grandpa always said, "too many angles."

After playing with it yesterday he now says it's more a whirling sound, like the gear isn't engaging the flywheel. He says it now does it pretty much every other time. He'll bring it to a station near his place and see what he says.

We will just forget the CC stuff, things are expensive now days.

Thanks all.

Old 01-08-18, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds like the starter bendix not engaging the flywheel.

Old 01-08-18, 04:48 PM
Ii it's the starter I'm betting a shim fell out. But as tow guy said it may something completely different. Cold weather has a way of doing that.

Old 01-09-18, 07:00 AM
That's it, couldn't remember the name. I'm gonna make sure he has it looked at sooner than later, don't want to mess up the flywheel. $$$$$

Thanks

Old 01-09-18, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
And just a bit of info...not every starter uses a "bendix drive" of course. I think in my motorhead days it was just Ford and Chrysler wasn't it? GM used a solenoid and pivot arm to push the drive gear into engagement with the ring gear. I guess that's pretty much what all cars use now. The bendix drive made a gawdawful noise and caused wear on the gears.

Old 01-10-18, 08:13 AM
He was driving his fishing wagon, 93 Buick Century. According to Rock Auto this is his starter...

Name:  starter.JPG
Views: 131
Size:  27.5 KB

It has been decades since I've put a starter on, not sure what you call it. I"ll have to call him and see what is going on now.

Thanks

Old 01-11-18, 09:04 AM
Thumbs up

Ii it's the starter I'm betting a shim fell out.

Son talked to the mechanic yesterday ("seems like a nice guy") and he said it sounds like a shim problem. He also said if a shim comes in the box they put it in, if no shim they don't. I don't think I've ever changed a starter so I have no idea what a shim is but it must be for alignment.

Mechanic also said the starter was fine when he installed it but if my son's mechanic finds a problem with it just take it to an O'Rileys and they will replace it free. Sounds like an up and up guy, too bad he isn't closer.

I just bought a direct fit Magnaflo catalytic converter ($179) and had a shop install it along with stock exhaust ($307) on my 89 K1500, everything welded which I guess is good.

Young guy asked them to check the front brakes on his Ford pickup. You need pads, one front hose, calipers are stuck -- $560. That poor kid looked like someone stole his wife.

Things sure have gone up, well, except my pension.

Hopefully we're almost to the end of this adventure.

Thanks

Old 01-11-18, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
And isn't that a terrible thing? The young kid I mean. Why on earth doesn't he have the skills it would take to do all that work himself at a fraction of the cost? It's an afternoon job with pretty much basic tools. Pitiful...

Last edited by Gunguy45; 01-11-18 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-11-18, 01:05 PM
Kids aren't taught useful life skills anymore. They surely don't learn it in school. Shop, auto, and home ec classes are all gone, in favor of teaching kids differential calculus so they can score highly on one standardized test or another. Forget a brake job, a lot of kids can't even change a flat tire!

Old 01-11-18, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator
I think they're gonna be in trouble when no one's around anymore, that can do anything. Reminds me of a Star Trek episode where the people only knew how to use their brains which had gotten huge, but their bodies became useless.
So they resorted to kidnapping people from other places to be slaves for them and do the physical work they couldn't and didn't know how to do!

Old 01-11-18, 03:33 PM
Forget a brake job, a lot of kids can't even change a flat tire!

Could be interesting to put a kid in something with a 4 on the floor.

Ah, the good old days.

Old 01-11-18, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't be too hard on the kid. Working on today's cars (10 years or newer) is not for back yard or weekend mechanics anymore. Things have gotten very complicated and it's a lot more than just turning a wrench. I've done my fair share of misc auto work, but I would no longer try with any new car.

But I do agree that we are sorrowfully lacking in the trades and skills.

Old 01-20-18, 07:10 AM
Son's mechanic said the starter was bad, exchanged it at O'Reilly's and he is good to go.

The young kid I mean. Why on earth doesn't he have the skills it would take to do all that work himself at a fraction of the cost?

I don't know, maybe he does but possibly working shift work at one of the mines up here he can afford it and just doesn't have time. Or maybe he doesn't have a garage -- little cool up here to be out in the snow under your truck.

Working on today's cars (10 years or newer) is not for back yard or weekend mechanics anymore

Oh boy, I'll agree with that. Looking at my kids' vehicles with the engine side ways, take the inner fender off to change the alternator, no thanks.

My nephew has a shop down in Duluth and he was talking about this one where he had to take the front bumper off to change the headlight, or something like that. Not for me.

Old 01-20-18, 07:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am a mechanic that quit 15+ years ago and i don't even touch my cars any more. Couple of reasons is did it so long hate the work, but most important cars have evolved more than i can keep up with.

Old 01-20-18, 07:36 AM
Group Moderator
2002 - 2006 Ford Econline van I can change the starter in about 15 mins. My old 2000 Silverado took about 6 hrs total and some special tools. It really depends on the vehicle but now days they are getting tough to work on.