No interest for 18 months

Old 03-04-19, 08:19 AM
No interest for 18 months

I have several outstanding bills that I would like to pay off with a new credit card that has a zero percent interest rate for 18 months. Are there any credit cards that offer this?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-19, 01:33 PM
Group Moderator
Not a clue since I pay the balance in full each month and therefore don't pay attention to interest rates. This might be a good place to start looking:
https://www.creditcards.com/

Old 03-04-19, 01:35 PM
Group Moderator
Typically cards with zero interest for that long of a time period are only for tangible goods..... not cash advances.

Old 03-04-19, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
Ex did that, but it was 15 or 16 months. Don't think I've seen any go 18.

Old 03-04-19, 05:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Go to nerd wallet they have best cards there.I get offers I get 18 month offers all the time. You have to look at the % charge for the time. Most want 3% of balance charged but some want 5%

Old 03-04-19, 11:25 PM
I have several outstanding bills that I would like to pay off with a new credit card

That's how it all begins, paying today's bills with tomorrows credit! Not a good solution!

Old 03-05-19, 03:45 AM
Remember. there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Old 03-05-19, 04:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Personally, I'd go to my banker & get a consolidation load & put a car or tractor etc up for collateral at a low interest rate. Personally, I'd never get a CC to pay off other bills. [A credit union usually has a lower int rate]

To answer your question, I dont know of any 0% interest cards for 18 months. Occasionally, I'll hear of a loan company going up to 24 months, no interest on a special deal with a furniture company or something. But even at that, if you really believe that in the end you're getting 0% interest, .......... well, never mind.

Old 03-05-19, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator
While I'd listen to the others, Discover has a 0% balance transfer for 14 months going on right now, but there is a 3% transfer fee. Bank of America has a 0% balance transfer for 15 months with no transfer fee for 60 days.
However, after the 14 or 15 months, the interest rate is quite high, any where from 14 to 25%!

Old 03-05-19, 07:25 AM
Even though (or if) there is zero interest, don't forget to read the fine print. Sometimes there can be a one-time fee that goes along with the issuance of the card that doesn't count as "interest" but it does make the "loan" less than "free."

Old 03-05-19, 08:15 AM
I did not grow up with wealth so it is a blessing never having been in that situation, but that does not mean that I am without empathy. But I do encourage you to take Dixie's advice, go to a local bank, and see what options they can provide. Things have changed, obviously, but I do believe that there are still "friendly" bankers who are willing to listen and assist as they can. The thing is though, that if you are able to reach an amicable solution, it would be your responsibility to stay on top of it and keep them informed if anything were to change, such as a life changing event that would prevent you from making your agreed up payments on time or whatever. Something like this makes much more sense to me, because putting it on another credit card has only one outcome if you get behind, and that is to worsen your situation.

Old 03-05-19, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by buzcar
I have several outstanding bills that I would like to pay off with a new credit card that has a zero percent interest rate for 18 months. Are there any credit cards that offer this?
You would do better to start by calling the bill holders and asking about working out a payoff plan.

Those 0% interest deals are generally limited to TRANSFERRING existing debts in good-standing from other credit card companies. Few if any credit card companies will allow you to run up new debts for 18 months without any payments.

What you CAN do is check around for "snowball" credit card payoff calculators which show what happens if you paydown the balance on your highest interest rate credit card.
IF you are currently able to pay the principal and interest on your credit card balances,
THEN consider transferring the balance from a high interest rate card to a no interest card for 12 months, use the cash flow that is freed up to pay down the balance on your highest interest rate card. Repeat as needed.

Old 03-05-19, 09:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The bottom line is bad habits need to change! I know several folks that ran up a lot of credit card debt and refinanced their house, sold stuff or whatever and then a yr or two later they'd be back in the same shape.