Plans to build triangular gable vent?

Old 07-25-02, 10:15 AM
parmm
Visiting Guest
Question Plans to build triangular gable vent?

installed a gable attic fan, but my vent is not big enough. where can I find plans to build a new vent approximately 78" at base with aprox 21" rise to peak?

i can't find any commerical triangle vents that size.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-02, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Soffit vents

Are you making this vent to accomidate your fan or for intake ??
If intake, you should cut several soffit vents instead of using one large gable vent.

Old 07-25-02, 07:38 PM
parmm
Visiting Guest
replaceing existing vent to accomidate fan.

Old 07-25-02, 07:44 PM
Question 78" x 21"

How big of a fan are you installing anyways ??

Old 07-25-02, 08:09 PM
parmm
Visiting Guest
Fan is about 14", mounts on 16" centers. Gable vent existing on house is only about 8" high. Local supply houses say this is standard vent here. Can't find a bigger one. Mounting fan to right of center 2x4 instead of cutting it out. Even if I cut it out and boxed it in the vent still is not big enough for fan. Half the air gets blown right back into the attic. Not good for fan either. Have to use triangle vent or replace siding and go with rectangle or ocatgon vent. I think it is easier to build triangle vent than replace the siding. Just looking for ideas of how to build it.

Old 07-26-02, 05:55 AM
Question

Why not just use a roof mounted fan ??
Better yet use passive ventilation if possible, studies have proven that electric fans use more power than they save in most cases.
Notice on the box of the fan is says the fan will COOL your attic but normally says little about utility bills.

Old 07-26-02, 06:37 AM
parmm
Visiting Guest
If you go back and read my first post, you will note that it says "installed". I brought the fan, discovered the gable vent was to small, and installed the fan with the intent of enlarging the vent. Maybe a little bit backwards, but that's what I did.

Now all I am looking for is advice in building a nice looking triangle vent, 7/12 pitch, with a 20/21 inch drop from the peak. That triangle would run about 78" on the base. Never have built one before and want to do it properly.

I know all the pros and cons of active and passive ventilation and am not worried about utility bills as my electic utility provider is community owned and inexpensive. I have all the ridge vents, soffit vents, three gable vents, that are recommended and still have a problem. I just want to circulate air. I do not expect to cool house.

Old 07-08-08, 02:44 PM
T
Anyone find plans for making a triangular gable vent? The ones on my house are thin, painted metal and they are in bad shape. It looks like they were some type of adjustable pre-made ones. The ones that Home Depot and Lowes carries are vinyl. Im hoping I can find some plans to make a wooden one since I am repainting the house.

Old 08-01-08, 12:06 PM
F
is it possible to create gable vent by cutting clapboards?

I can't stand the vinyl gable vents that seem to be the norm now, and wondered if anyone has created their own by cutting into bottom of clapboards & sheathing and then screening it on the inside. Seemed to me that it might be feasible and less unsightly.