ventilation in basement bath

Old 07-31-02, 06:12 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ventilation in basement bath

I am finishing a 6 x 9 basement bath. I have no windows. The exaust fan runs to the exterior. Do i need to run HVAC ducts to the bathroom? If so, I have two 6" ducts running above the bathroom, can I branch off of those, or do I need to run them from the main ducts from the furnace?

Old 07-31-02, 06:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Just run a duct from one of those.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 08-01-02, 07:09 AM
J
It would be better to run a new 6" line from the main (rectangular) duct than to take a branch off an existing 6" round duct. There are two reasons: (1) Air hates to bend corners, so most of the air will still go to the existing upstairs vent on this line, potentially leaving the bathroom with little heat. But more importantly, (2) you will have created an excellent sound conduit from this bathroom to the room above. If you do tap off one of these ducts, then hopefully you can seal the existing vent (stuff a towel down the pipe?) on this line to partially mitigate the above two problems. It's usually not very hard to add a new take-off to the main supply duct.

Old 08-03-02, 08:07 AM
Davef15
Visiting Guest
As I read the post, it seems the question is, with an exhaust fan vented to the outside, how does one get sufficient air into the room to make up for the exhaust. Adding a supply air duct from the main duct will serve two purposes, one better than the other. The supply duct will take care of heating /cooling as the case may be. However, if the recirculation fan for the HVAC is not running, makeup air for the room while the exhaust fan is running will have to "draft" through the ductwork. A better approach for makeup air is to leave an opening at the bottom of the door - say an inch or so.

Old 08-04-02, 05:33 AM
bill_mn
Visiting Guest
vent in no window room

You did say "exhaust fans" to outside so what goes out must come in, however exhaust fans run while room is occupied. The
small opening at the bottom of the door will serve for three reasons 1. if light is on somebody could be in there 2. gives air supply to the exhaust 3. gives the heat supply a place to go ( do you have an air return to the duct work in the basement ?) well
add a fouth and hopefully not needed but floor drain is unlikely in that new bathroom , but a floor drain is probably someplace with a check valve in the drain. The stool drain might need a check valve when in the basement.
now i have a question ? did u run the new stack to existing or new to outside wall at ground level ?

Old 08-11-02, 08:45 PM
A
Bill,
I am using a studor vent for the shower, sink and toilet. It is sounding more and more like I should start bugging the buidling inspector. I am already on his SH*t list for the number of calls i gave him when building my deck.

I will just run a new conduit from the main HVAC. It is just that I have so much framing/ soffit/cieling work done that it will be a lot of trouble.

Thanks to all.

Aaron

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: