Steam heating pipes

Old 09-12-02, 11:56 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Steam heating pipes

I'm going to renovate the basement in my 70-year-old house. The house has steam radiator heat, therefore, there are 2-1/2 steam pipes running along my basement's ceiling. If I drop a ceiling or use soffits, the head clearance is jeopardized. Is there any way to make these pipes more visually appealing and at the same time insulated. The rest of the ceiling looks good

ANY ideas are welcome.

Old 09-12-02, 02:37 PM
BSB
I don't have any idea where to get the stuff, but the navy uses a type of insulation on all the steam pipes on board. I believe the outside is fiberglass cloth so its pretty easy to paint and lasts for quite a while.

Hope this helps

Brian

Old 09-13-02, 04:48 AM
mopat
Visiting Guest
Are you sure it's Steam heat, not just hot water from a boiler? I would suspect the latter. Large pipes are probably not necessary if there is a circulating pump on the boiler. Your large old pipes were necessary for a gravity flow system. Consider removing them install 1" copper pipes, tuck them between the floor joists. Insulation probably not necessary unless pipes run to unheated spaces.

Old 09-13-02, 07:30 PM
G
100% sure it is steam heat. I can convert to hot water and switch to 1" copper as you said, but that's big bucks that I don't want to spend (had an estimate).

Old 09-14-02, 01:55 PM
mopat
Visiting Guest
well, I once did a renovation job where we covered the pipes with rope, ie didn't box them in, just 1/2" rope-- looked pretty decent. Rope spooled around pipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: