ventilation question

Old 10-04-02, 11:22 AM
JRRR.
Visiting Guest
ventilation question

I recently had my 65ft long ranch reroofed. There was plenty of rotted plywood due to no ventilation and bathroom venting issues. A 60 foot ridge vent was installed as well as 60 4" round soffit vents (30 on each side). An octagon window (approx 30" across) was converted into a gable vent at the front of the house. I went up in the attic and made sure that there was clear air flow in the soffit area. I have been changing the attic insulation over to R-30 as I renovate rooms and replace ceilings. My question is now after doing some research it seems that gable vents will interfere with proper soffit/ridge exchange. Is this true? How much will my smaller gable vent interfere? Should I seal it from the inside? I checked ambient air temps versus attic temps last winter and I was within 5 degrees or so. I have no snow melt problems. However, The attic is pretty hot in the summer. I was thinking of adding a thermostatically controlled fan in the attic when funds allow. I know that continious soffit venting is better than the round vents. Is there a right and wrong way to install these vents? Orientation in the soffit? I figured the round vents were better than nothing. Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Old 10-06-02, 12:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Ridge vents

Make sure the cloth mesh "filter" hasn't plugged up with dirt.
You should be able to see light coming in wherever you have a vent.

Old 10-07-02, 10:53 AM
JRRR.
Visiting Guest
If the mesh filter is clogged with dirt? Vacuum? What about my original question of a gable vent interfering with soffit/ridge operation?

Old 10-07-02, 11:08 AM
Arrow If clogged

Either replace the vent (hopefully with one that DOESN'T use a "filter" or consider it "blocked off" and implement another type of venting such as square roof vents or turbines (neither subject to the "filter" problem that most ridge vents have)
The jury is still out on the gable vent thing, I personally don't think it makes any difference either way.
An electric fan is an option but you will probably spend more to run the fan than you save in A/C costs.
The REAL culprit is RADIANT heat which I will allow rybsis take that one

Old 10-07-02, 11:23 AM
JRRR.
Visiting Guest
I am hoping that I do not have a clogged filter. The ridge vent and new roof/venting is only a year old. Just doing my homework and making sure things are working properly. I kind of agree with you on "the jury is still out" on gable venting. Considering I only have one it doesnt make sense that it would disrupt exchange drastically. I have been perusing the threads on radiant heat and radiant barriers. I always like to get many opinions so I can be well informed. Thanks.

Old 10-07-02, 11:38 AM
Question Filter vents

It WILL clog up, it's just a matter of when.
First it gets loaded up with dust, then moisture makes it into a "mud" killing the ridge vents effectiveness.
There are a few out there that don't use "filters" and won't have this problem.
Personally I think the "filters" are very restrictive to such a low air pressure even when clean.
Remember in an attic you are trying to get quite a bit of airflow with minimal pressure, to do this you need a venting system that has an "open" design.

Old 10-08-02, 01:23 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

As an insulation contractor, I'm biased. I want the best for my customers because it makes me look good. Go to cor-a-vent.com

If you are tearing out the ceiling drywall, the last thing you want to do is put FG in. The ceiling temp of a FG installtion is about 110 degress on a 95 degree day. That's about 25 degrees hotter than a radiant ceiling heat system. Now you know why your a/c bills are so high.

If you are 24" c/c then you can install a 3 layer radiant barrier system. 16", two two layer system. Your a/c bills should be about 30%+ lower than with FG. Winter bills lower too. No mold, no cancer causing chemicals or fibers. Excellent vapor barrier.

You didn't mention any thing about the walls.

If you want to follow up on this I'll need more info. E-mail for add'l info.

Gable vents are useless and power units use electric to vent and are not as efficient as ridge vents.

Thank you for considering my opinion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: