Oil vs Latex Drylok

Old 10-17-02, 07:57 AM
blinky2
Visiting Guest
Oil vs Latex Drylok

Is oil-based Drylok any better of a water sealer than latex-based Drylok? I'm going to paint over bare basement walls where there is not a lot of ventilation (a reason to use latex), but I've been told that the oil-based product would hold up better.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-02, 05:24 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Consumer Reports did a test on basement water sealers and tested both the latex and oil based versions. They said both performed equally well, but gave the nod to the latex based product due to it's easier cleanup. The Drylok products were rated head-over-shoulders above all others. I just used the latex stuff tonight and it works amazing.

Old 10-28-02, 09:23 AM
B
a better question - what are you hoping to accomplish?

A better question is what do you hope to accomplish with the dry-lock?

Old 10-30-02, 05:00 PM
Penn
Visiting Guest
I think if you read the directions on the latex vs. oil based, you'll find that the oil based drylok is intended for walls that have some dampness or moisture. If you have no evidence of moisture, I'd probably go w/ the latex based product. As mentioned in other posts, it's easier to clean up.

Old 10-30-02, 11:55 PM
dynagirl
Visiting Guest
We've been using the latex Drylock in our basement and the fumes aren't very strong unless you're extra sensitive. It really only bothered me when I was painting low or in a corner and had the fumes from wet paint coming down on me or surrounding me.

I can't yet attest to how well it works since we haven't had it up for more than a few months. But it sure seems like good stuff. It's very thick (tiring to brush on!) and it really COATS the walls, sealing every nook and cranny once you work it in there.

Old 10-31-02, 06:59 PM
B
Just a followup - there's some Yellowing that's getting through on my project, and the walls are dry. I actually sent Dry Lock an email asking what causes this. Hopefully they'll respond.

Old 08-08-08, 10:55 PM
D
I'm using drylok on my basement cinder block walls, and I'm getting the same yellowing that I think you got on your project. Did you ever figure out what yellowing is caused by and what to do about it. Thanks.

Old 08-09-08, 04:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Welcome to the forums DCard!

The previous post is almost 6 yrs old, so you may not get a reply. Are you using the latex drylok or the oil?