Sewer Smell in Basement

Old 10-17-02, 01:38 PM
Curious Owner2
Visiting Guest
Sewer Smell in Basement

I live in a brick ranch home in southern Ohio. 5 years ago I had the basement sealed and waterproofed from the outside. This consisted of digging around the foundation, installaing a new pvc drain into a new sump pump well. The block foundation was cleaned, repaired and tar was put over the block. Plastic was put over the tar on the complete foundation. There are 3 cleanouts in this system. I run water at least once a year in each cleanout.

This year has been especially dry here so I ran water down the cleanouts more often.

I am getting a sewer smell from the sump pump well. There was never a smell since it was installed.

My question is: Where is it coming from and why? What can I do about it?

Thank You!

Old 10-20-02, 05:46 PM
finnigan
Visiting Guest
stink

My guess would be that when they dug the area around the sewer pipe to the street, they damaged it and now the sewage from your drain is seeping into the sump. Is the sump close to the location where the sewage pipe leaves the house?

Old 10-29-02, 05:28 PM
Curious Owner2
Visiting Guest
Sewer Smell in Basement

Well, this smell has only been here after this summer of hot weather, never before. The sump is about 5' from the exit of the main drain.

Thanks!

Old 10-30-02, 04:26 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sump Pump Odor

Sometimes a wet, dirty sump can smell like sewer. Pour enzyme digester cleaner into sump and drains. Enzymes digest organic material and odor causing bacteria. If this fails, call a plumber to inspect your sump pump and drains.

Old 11-05-02, 06:30 PM
zalyx1
Visiting Guest
Had the same problem and found out that pump wasn't situated properly in sump and was leaving alot of water that eventually stagnated. Being a new build with plenty of dust , it turned into a sludge as well . This gave me that overwhelming stench you're speaking of. Did everything twelvepole mentioned plus cleaned it out and set pump in right position. Everything is fine now, But I still check on it once in awhile to make sure there is no excess water.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: