converting attic

Old 11-19-99, 03:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I have a large attic space that I wish to convert into artist studio. I will to do all the work myself in my own good time. The roof trusses are at 16" centers. The supports for the roof are in a 'W' configuration. There is no roof center beam. This is what I believe I should do, please correct me if wrong. 1.Add horizontal bracing at apex.
2.Reinforce joists, i.e. as I don't have much roof height add same length/height/width to each existing.
3.Add verticales from existing rafter position down to joists.
4.Remove 'W' pieces.
5.Insulate and floor attic and add drywall. Please excuse if the terminalogy is incorrect.
Joe Delaney, Ireland.
fax 353 61 227939
Old 12-06-99, 08:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I hope I'm not too late to stop you. You have trusses - not rafters. What you propose would be fine if you had rafters. Trusses are engineered differently. Each member is designed to carry a specific part of the load. Cutting/removing any part will weaken the entire roof structure.

Furthermore, the joists in the ceiling will not support the weight of a room (floor, furniture, people).

You will need to remove the existing roof and rebuild to do what you want.
Old 12-08-99, 08:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Joe: STOP, STOP, STOP do not pass go, do not collect $200.00. Those are trusses. They hold up your roof. Do not mess with or change these. BobF is correct. The only way
to make more headroom is to raise your roof.
It would be cheaper to build a little studio
somewhere else. Good Luck, Jack the Contractor
Old 01-07-06, 02:51 PM
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am also thinking about converting my attic to a workspace. I do not have W's, I have V's where the point is in the center of the attic. I have 5 of them along with 6 rafters. Would it be feasible to convert this attic?
Old 01-07-06, 03:03 PM
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 15,047
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Consult with your local building inspector or engineer. Any changes to structure require approved plans and permit. Changes must meet requirements of building codes.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: