INSTALLING PULL DOWN STAIRS

Old 01-11-00, 01:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I WANT TO INSTALL PULL DOWN STAIRS OVER MY GARAGE IN LINE WITH THE RAFTERS BUT I AM TOLD THIS IS NOT A LOAD BEARING CEILING. DO I NEED TO DO ANYTHING TO ACCOMIDATE THE STAIRS OTHER THAN FOLLOW THE INSTALLATION DIRECTIONS ?? STORAGE WILL BE LIGHT STUFF LIKE CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS AND I CAN SPREAD THEM OUT ON SHEETS OF PLYWOOD.

Old 01-13-00, 09:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

The stairs should be simple enough to install by following the directions. Don't cut any of the existing framing members for the installation! You shouldn't have to since the stairs should be designed to fit existing framing. If the ceiling is not load-bearing, your storage will be limited, as you know, so keep it light. There are probably a number of ways to add additional support to the ceiling with lvl beams or headers if you want to put more weight in the attic.. consult a local contractor for ideas there. Keeping the stuff you store away from the center of the ceiling will minimize the amount of affect the added weight will have towards causing the ceiling to sag. Christmas decorations are OK, but engine blocks are not! :-)

Old 01-17-00, 05:24 PM
Visiting Guest
I have another question about pulldown attic stairs. The house I just bought has a set of pulldown stairs that needs replacing, and I'd like to replace them with pulldown stairs that are more like stairs and less like a ladder. The existing stairs have extremely narrow steps that would be narrow even as rungs on a ladder. Is it possible to have pulldown stairs with wide steps like in "real" stairs? Where would I buy such a thing, or would this be a custom job? Is there more specific terminology I should know to describe what I'm talking about? Also ease of pulling them down and pushing them back up is very important. Thanks!

Old 01-19-00, 04:12 AM
Visiting Guest
Vicki:
Sorry, that is all they make. They are made 22" wide to fit between the ceiling joists. You are right, they are actually fold down ladders. If you wanted something different, you would have to build a stairs. Big job, and expensive. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 01-19-00, 07:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Jack, thanks for your reply. Er, let me clarify something though, I didn't mean the width of the "staircase" as in to fit between the joists - I meant the depth, I guess, of each step. Am I still out of luck?

Old 01-20-00, 05:12 AM
Visiting Guest
Rainbow Vicki:

Yes, still out of luck.

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: