more attic vents

Old 06-02-00, 01:38 PM
Visiting Guest
When they vinyl sided my house 5 years ago it seems that they either covered over my soffit vents or I never had any (I suspect they got covered over). My roof has only 4 smallish roof vents that the roofer put in. I am pretty sure this is nowhere near enough ventilation but I am not sure who to call or what to expect. I am more than will to try putting in a fan but I am a little less comfortable with cutting through the siding or shingles.

Only one end of my roof can be ventilated as the other side forms a cathedral ceiling for the master bedroom.

My guess is that I need a gable fan and vent or a roof fan. I also think I need to re-cut soe soffit vents.

1. How do I find the orignal soffit vents and is it easy to take the soffit siding off and replace it with vents?

2. What do I need to do to install a gable vent and fan? What happens to the siding when I cut through it? Does the gable vent/fan go between the wall studs?

3. If I opt out of the do-it-yourself mode and decide to pay cash - do I call a roofer or a siding contractor? What should I expect to pay?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-00, 08:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Are you sure that the siding contractor did not put in vented soffit? Almost all do unless you say "NO"

It would be easiest and best for a siding/soffit contractor do this for you. They would be able to do it much quicker than you might.

MTAC http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 01-14-05, 12:47 PM
sqbcker73
Visiting Guest
How do I vent the hipped ends of a hipped roof?

How do I vent the hipped ends of a hipped roof without using ugly roof vents? The main ridge line of the roof can be vented using soffit vents, vent channels and the existing ridge vent, right? At this time there is no insulation in the cathedral-ceilinged attic so we want to get it ventilated right before starting insulation.
The problem is the rafters on the hipped ends of the roof are blocked from getting a flow of air up to the main ridge vent on the top of the roof by the larger "corner" rafters. Is there a way to vent the hipped ridges? The house (my friend's - I'm helping him do some work on) is located in the Boston area so there's obviously the possibility of severe winters.
There's already mold is several places on the underside of the roof in the attic and where the roofline meets the fascia. It seems the only ventilation are the small spaces between the fascia boards and gutters and the poorly cut ridge vent at the top of the roof. We are planning on cutting many soffit vents on one side to vent up to the ridge vent but I can't figure out how to vent the "hipped" ends' ridges. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 01-19-05, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Dont know how far along you are here. In lots of homes with a hip roof all around. We carry the ridge board on out some over the other hip roof. this way you have a small gable where you can put a very nice big vent into its face.cut all the roof boards under it out there to let air up and out. Hope you get it its hard when you cant draw it out for you

ED

Old 01-23-05, 08:43 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hip roof venting

Hip roofs are vented along their ridge AND their hips with the same type of ridge vents....