Refinishing the Basement

Old 11-19-99, 02:40 PM
Visiting Guest
I want to finish my basement, but really have no idea about design. I have about 30 x 18 feet of usable floor space (the other half is cement slab crawl space) with 2 steel beams to contend with. I would perhaps like a spare bedroom/office, and the rest can be family space with a bar, etc. Is there any software available to help me with a design?

Also, what's the best way to insulate for sound.

(By the way, it's an 8 year-old house, why would the original contractor build only a half basement, and slab the other half. Does the additional excavation cost that much extra?!?) Any help is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-99, 02:41 PM
Visiting Guest
No software program is creative. They can help you visualize the end result, but you must still do the creative thinking.

Take a paper/pencil and play with layouts. For the wet bar, take into account where it will drain. ie) keep it close to a main stack. If you are planning a bedroom you will need egress other than the stairs. That means enlarging a window.

For lighting, consider a mix of fluorescent and halogen/incadescent. A mix of types is best for our eyes.
Also consider incorporating indirect lighting. I didn't and wish I had.

Old 12-08-99, 07:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Loren:
There is a software program called Design It
3-D. This is what I think you might be looking for. The program takes a few minutes to get used to, but after that it is
a breeze. Good Luck, Jack the Contractor

Old 12-27-99, 07:05 PM
Visiting Guest
I am new to this site, and am also interested
in finishing my basement. It is a full basement, with three small casement windows &
a steel door. How feasible is it to do most
of the work ourself. Are there any good videos to buy/rent and books that are easy to
understand? I know this is a lot of questions but I am sick to death of thinking
about doing something with all that space. I
am ready to start, but don't know where!!

Old 12-29-99, 06:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Scissorhands 2:

If you want to sent me an e-mail, describe the layout of your basement, dimensions, etc.
I will help you. Good Luck Jack the Contractor [email protected]

Old 07-09-08, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jack,
As a contractor, what are your opinions to staining and sealing a concrete basement floor?

If I decide to go this route, what's your thoughts about having professionally done or is this something that my husband and I could do without too much difficulty?

I don't like the dust and my son has asthma too. I really need to do something. Also, I really don't want to put anything on the floor that could potentially cover up a possible problem down the road. House is 9 years old. 2 floor drains inside of basement and 1 big one on the outside basement ramp. Outside basement walls were completely sealed by company when house was built, inside of basement walls has Dryloc applied 1 year after house was built and painted. We have no mold issues that I know of and no chipping paint. Husband installed drop-in ceiling tiles for the ceiling last summer and now I would like to do something with the floor to complete the project. We would like to use as a family/game room. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.