basement remodeling

Old 12-29-99, 09:59 PM
Visiting Guest
we recently bought a 30 year old ranch style home with a concrete block wall basement that leaked.With the water problem repaired We want to paint the walls,they already have paint on them. any suggestions on where to start?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-99, 10:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Confused: Do you want to change the color of your paint or what. I guess I am confused about what you are asking. Sorry,
Jack the Contractor

Old 01-02-00, 10:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Im sorry I didnt mean to confuse you too!!! but we went to lowes to find some basement paint and the lady was telling us about what kind of paint is on our walls already and she said that if its an oil base paint then we will need a special kind of paint. is this true and what kind of paint is best for this type of wall? our basement hasnt been painted for several years and we just want to waterproof it and paint it white.she told us to do the alcohol test on it and we did and it is kinda gummy in that spot. so does that mean it is oil based? please help...

Old 01-03-00, 06:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Confused: Yes, probably oil base paint. What I would probably do is paint your wall with a concrete white sealer paint. You might look in the concrete section, rather then the paint section. You should be able to paint right over the other paint with concrete paint. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 01-03-00, 09:55 AM
Visiting Guest
thanks for your help!!! we will try and let you know how it worked out...this is a wonderful site for confused people like me..thanks again....

Old 11-28-04, 11:52 AM
Fox
Visiting Guest
My opinion (Fox)

Hi,
I just joined this forum but I'm also the VP of a painting company.
What Jack The Contractor said was correct. You may have to scrap the wall first though.
~Fox