Basement wall waterproofing

Old 01-12-00, 10:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I am preparing to finish my basement. The exterior of my block basement wall was treated with a waterproofing process by a local professional group at the time of home construction. However, with extremely heavy rains or numerous days of steady rain, the inside of my basement will show water spots on the walls at various locations (nothing more than this has ever resulted). The water spots dry up very quickly after the rain ceases.

I would like to panel my basement and am wondering if I should coat the inside of my basement walls w/ a concrete block wall water sealer? If so, what product would you recommend?

Also, w/ regards to paneling, I would like to use a beaded, tongue and groove pine board or something similar. (I would rather not use 4'x8' panel sheets). Can variable width, beaded boards be purchased from a Home superstore? If not, what the easiest and least expensive way of getting beaded boards?

Thanks for your help on the questions above.
Old 01-13-00, 05:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I have a suggestion for your basement wall problem. My brother-in-law had the same problem and he used a product called dry-lock sold at Menards stores and many other do-it-yourself kind of places. He has never had trouble again. In fact this even stopped his water seapage problems.
Old 01-18-06, 08:34 AM
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 9
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dry lock works great for this type of problem. I have been using it on my basement walls for years. Every 5 years the surface of one wall in particular regains a slightly "crumbly" surface from moisture, I gently brush the surface clean, slap on a mask and then reapply the drylock.
Old 01-19-07, 02:38 PM
Fro is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I recently used radonseal from enduro-seal.

I got the promo price b/c I bought the 3 pails and paid no shipping.

It's permanent which makes it a better option than drylok at least for me. It's not much more expensive either. A pail of drylok will run about a hundred bucks, the radonseal was 125 each. Just spray it on with a garden sprayer. Good stuff!

Just had a heavy rain and where water normally appears, there was nothing. Two thumbs up!

Now that I know the walls/floors are sealed, it's time for drywall!!!

edit: In addition, it's non toxic and contains no VOC's. You don't need to wear a mask or gloves while spraying it on, and good ventilation is optional as it's not harmful to breath what little fumes there are.
Old 01-19-07, 02:55 PM
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 5,651
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Basement wall waterproofing

Please note the 7 year old date of the original problem posting.

Radonseal is a relatively new product designed to seal for radon and has been recently been suggested for use in waterproofing, which requires some different properties.

There are some dedicated products for this purpose that have a good track record. The newer is Drylok. It is available in two formulations (oil and water based). The older product originally designed for waterproofing, renovation and maintenance of industrial, commercial, civil (dams) is Thoroseal (cement-based coating). Both are available in most outlets.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: