How do I attach wood to metal I-beams?

Old 02-14-00, 09:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

What are acceptalbel ways to attach wood to the metal I-beams in a basement. Glue?? Any other like special clamps and where might I obtain this?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-00, 03:42 AM
Visiting Guest
Hurt Thumb:
It is kind of hard to answer your question, because of lack of information. How much wood are we talking about? What big is your wood ? There are a couple of methods of which clamps are not one of the options. Let me know. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 02-17-00, 08:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Sorry, I will be building a wall under the beam. A 2x4 will be against the beam with 2x4 studs running to the plate.

Old 02-22-01, 07:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi - I'm hoping that replying to this thread will bring it back to the top. I know it's an old one, but this is exactly the question I have! I have to build my 2x4 wall beneath the I-beam, and I'm wondering what the best way to attach it at the top (under the i-beam) is!

Thanks,
Ron

Old 02-24-01, 05:55 AM
I would just drill holes in the 2x4's and matching holes in the I beam web, and bolt the 2x4's up there.

Old 02-26-01, 03:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Thanks Jack...I thought of that, but I figured the I-beam would be too difficult to drill through. Guess I'll give it a try!

Ron

Old 02-26-01, 01:58 PM
Visiting Guest
PL-400 glue - c-clamp it to the under side of beam for a few days and it will stay forever.

Old 03-28-01, 11:50 AM
Visiting Guest
same issue

I am doing the same thing with a floating wall in my basement. The I-beam is 5.5" wide, so I'm going to go with a 2x6 wall. I don't like the idea of drilling holes in the I-beam and attaching the top plate to it with bolts. I'm no structural engineer, but this sounds like it could negatively affect the support strength of the I-beam. Also, with mine being a floating wall, I don't like the idea of using glue to hold up the wall. My plan is to attach (or hang) 2x2s to the floor (ceiling) joists and drop them around the I-beam to a height that will allow me to fasten the top plate to the 2x2 posts. Basically, it's like building a soffett around the I-beam and using the soffett to hold up the wall. Is this a reasonable approach? Since I've never done it, any feedback will be appreciated.

Old 03-28-01, 11:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

That seems reasonable, but let me say that I did end up drilling into the i-beam, and while it took a bit (haha - get it?) using a 1/2" drill, I was able to do it. If you use screws to build your box, I would think it would be okay too.

Ron

Old 04-10-01, 02:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Try a Hilti or Remington .22 caliber power nailer.

Old 04-20-01, 06:57 AM
Visiting Guest
The Web of the beam is what gives it it's strength. We drill and bolt these all the time.

Shooting them with powder actuated nails is also an option if you are using red iron.

Why ask experts for advice if you "think" you already have an answer? Jack, lefty, and I do this stuff for real, not as hobbies or weekend work.

BTW Jack is an engineer.

Old 04-20-01, 08:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Thanks for your reply. Were you posing that question to me? I asked because I wanted an opinion if that was the right/best way to do it! I'm not an expert - that's why I asked.

Ron

Old 04-25-01, 07:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down Relax

To "More than a Carpenter": In response to your recent posting:

"Why ask experts for advice if you "think" you already have an answer? Jack, lefty, and I do this stuff for real, not as hobbies or weekend work. BTW Jack is an engineer."

I have the following comment. Dude...relax. Congratulations to you for being an "expert"! Do you really do this stuff for REAL?!?! I thought they only did that in the movies! To what address shall the rest of us lowly "hobbyists" send our letters of admiration?

It's too bad for lefty and Jack that you saw fit to dishoner them by dragging their names into your conceited reply. Although it is impossible to determine to whom you directed your arrogant posting, it is clear by the language you used that you have a confidence problem and that you felt very threatened by somebody’s comment (your response is oozing with defensiveness). I suspect that you participate in this discussion group for the petty sole purpose of having your ego caressed by presenting yourself as an expert to a bunch of "do-it-yourselfers". If it makes you upset to read "simple" questions posted by the people on this board, you might want to reflect on your decision to participate in "do-it-yourself" discussion groups all together. If you are looking to have your ego caressed, go buy a dog…it will think you are the best thing since Puppy Chow.

As with others on this board, I look to the people in this discussion group (including you) for experienced advice. Some of us seek more advice than we offer. Some of us offer more advice than we seek. However, none of us should purport to have all the answers. And I think I can safely say that nobody here is looking for the kind of attitude you brought to this string!

Old 04-25-01, 08:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thanks so much for those warm comments. I'll be sure to include you in my next request for character references.

Old 04-25-01, 10:18 AM
Visiting Guest
More than a Carpenter;

I apologize for the severity of my last posting. Your earlier comments struck a nerve with me. Yours is not the first posting from regular contributors on this board that I found to be arrogant. In fact, I have read many postings from people on this board that are loaded with patronizing remarks. I guess I had just had enough and sounded off. I don’t generally consider myself to be “soft-skinned”, but in this case maybe I should have exercised more composure. I don’t think internet bulletin boards are appropriate for either soft-skinned people or for people with abrasive personalities.

As most people here know, you are one of a handful of people who provide useful advice on a consistent basis. I just get frustrated when I have to sift through the bull to get the advice I’m looking for. Anyway, I hope you accept my apology.

Old 04-25-01, 10:52 AM
Visiting Guest
I am thick skinned and have taken hits here before. My earlier words were never intended to be harsh. I just wonder at times why some folks also feel the need to ask a question when they believe that they already have the correct solution.

And I was not implying that HT Ron was one of them.

I have an in-law who had asked me for some advice on building on to his home. I had put a lot of work into it. He ignored every bit of it and the addition will probably need an entire floor replacement within another 2 years.

Old 09-03-09, 07:08 AM
You sound like the guy I need to talk to

Originally Posted by ;159186
The Web of the beam is what gives it it's strength. We drill and bolt these all the time.

Shooting them with powder actuated nails is also an option if you are using red iron.

Why ask experts for advice if you "think" you already have an answer? Jack, lefty, and I do this stuff for real, not as hobbies or weekend work.

BTW Jack is an engineer.
Hi. I really new at all this and have decided to try and redo my basement. I was trying to find out where to get those little I beams used in basements (as seen on HGTV). How to attach them, and what is best to cover them. First I have to solve some plumbing issues, sometimes it backs up, but rarely. So thats a whole another issue. If you have the time I would love to ask you questions about this redo. Any and all info will be appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-04-09, 06:36 PM
nap
I would suggest you start with your own thread. The one you posted to is over 8 years old.