basement mold and mildew

Reply

  #1  
Old 02-28-00, 06:37 PM
Guest
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question

I am about to finish my basement (currently totally unfinished) and need answers on mold and mildew. Basement previously flooded (sump pump back-up)and all water problems have been resolved (french type drains). I cleaned walls with bleach and water to remove any visible mold. However, what if I missed some. Can the mold regrow if I paint cinder block with appropriate paint and then finish with framing, etc.? Is once a musty smelling basement always musty and mold prone?
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 02-29-00, 05:18 AM
Guest
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Post

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kpkg:
I am about to finish my basement (currently totally unfinished) and need answers on mold and mildew. Basement previously flooded (sump pump back-up)and all water problems have been resolved (french type drains). I cleaned walls with bleach and water to remove any visible mold. However, what if I missed some. Can the mold regrow if I paint cinder block with appropriate paint and then finish with framing, etc.? Is once a musty smelling basement always musty and mold prone? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mold/mildew are living creatures so they can re-grow if not properly exterminated.The bleach you used,especially mixed with a soapy cleaning/dish soap solution applied with a medium bristle brush should do an effective job. The circulation of fresh air(via cross ventilation or floor fan) can be very helpful as well.INcidentally,don't nail or screw into your foundation during the finishing process. Holes in your basement walls not only weaken your foundation ,but also can admit the dampness upon which mold and mildew thrive.Best Wishes,Consulting Services at www.mydrybasement.com
 
  #3  
Old 02-29-00, 05:36 PM
Guest
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jack Masters:
Originally posted by kpkg:
I am about to finish my basement (currently totally unfinished) and need answers on mold and mildew. Basement previously flooded (sump pump back-up)and all water problems have been resolved (french type drains). I cleaned walls with bleach and water to remove any visible mold. However, what if I missed some. Can the mold regrow if I paint cinder block with appropriate paint and then finish with framing, etc.? Is once a musty smelling basement always musty and mold prone? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mold/mildew are living creatures so they can re-grow if not properly exterminated.The bleach you used,especially mixed with a soapy cleaning/dish soap solution applied with a medium bristle brush should do an effective job. The circulation of fresh air(via cross ventilation or floor fan) can be very helpful as well.INcidentally,don't nail or screw into your foundation during the finishing process. Holes in your basement walls not only weaken your foundation ,but also can admit the dampness upon which mold and mildew thrive.Best Wishes,Consulting Services at www.mydrybasement.com
Thank you for your response!!!! I have had so many people out to look in my basement, but no one thinks there is mold, just lime deposits. However, when I look up at ceiling of basement, unfinished (floor joists) I see spots in the wood. SOme are white, some are black. How do I know if it is just the wood or mold? Can I simply spray it with bleach water mixture to be sure nothing is growing there? I live in NJ and as it has been cold so there is no odor so I can't be sure all mold / mildew is gone by smell. I had french drains put in in Oct. and basement has been 100% dry since. What do you think, am I mold free and able to finish my basement? I really appreciate your input. Do you cover this type of stuff in your book?
 
  #4  
Old 03-01-00, 03:54 AM
Guest
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Post

kpkg:
As was mentioned above, use the bleach. Mold and mildew come with cool and damp. yes, the white spots on the floor joists are probably mold and mildew. Put white vinagar on them. This will kill the spots.
Heat and dry are the big killers for mold and mildew. Good Luck ps I don't sell books.

------------------
Jack the Contractor
 
Reply
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: