waterproofing basement walls

Old 03-14-00, 09:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hello,

I (Dave) am beginning preparations for finishing my basement. The house was built in 1929 and has water damage in the basement. The walls are poured concrete and were originally "thin-coated" with 1/4" cement, then textured. Now the thin-coat is literally crumbling due to water seeping through the walls.

I have installed gutters, directed run-off away from the foundation, and have added a dehumidifier. There also was a V-Tech system installed prior to my purchasing the house. Though the floor is always dry, as is the air, the walls remain slightly moist. I don't want to finish the walls until I know that they are dry and won't mold/mildew.

I have consulted a contractor for advice and have done other research. This is waht I have found out thus far:

1) I can have the outside of the walls treated for between $3,500.00 - $7,000.00. This is supposed to be the ONLY true way to waterproof the walls. Is that true?

2) There is a product called XYPEX which is applied tot he inside, and is suppsoed to penetrate the concrete up to 12" deep. Have you heard of this stuff and are the claims true?

3) Nothing else helpful. What do you suggest?

Thanks for your help and time.

Sincerely, Dave O

Old 03-15-00, 03:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Dave;
Your contractor is correct. You can only stop moisture from the outside. I would say his price sounds fair. I would say about $6000. The problem is you do not know what you are going to run into until you start.
surprises cost money. I personally have not heard of that product, but the theory has been around for years. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 03-15-00, 04:12 AM
Visiting Guest
davo, follow Jack's advice. Negative waterproofing (from the inside) is temporary at best. Think about it. You stop the water from the inside, but that water has to go somewhere. Eventually the pressure will force the water thru the inside stuff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: