BASEMENT FLOOR PREPARATION

Old 04-10-00, 02:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I AM IN THE PROCESS IN FINISHING MY BASEMENT. EVEN THOUGH IT HAS A FINISHED CONCRETE FLOOR, IT IS NOT WHAT YOU WOULD SAY PERFECTLY SMOOTH. I'M AFRAID IF I LAY TILE THE IMPERFECTIONS WILL SHOW. COULD I LAY AN UNDERLAYMENT DOWN LIKE PARTICLE BOARD, AND IF I DO, SHOULD I LAY PLASTIC DOWN FIRST IN CASE THERE MAY BE SOME MOISTURE IN THE CONCRETE THAT COULD SOAK INTO THE UNDERLAYMENT? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

Old 04-12-00, 04:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Your right about needing an underlayment. If your floor is like most, you have a couple of cracks and some dips (uneven).

Treat the floor like any other. Follow the manufacturer's installation instructions.

Old 04-15-00, 07:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

RE: Confused about water vapor on concrete floor

I am getting to install ceramic tile on our concrete, lower-level floor. One of my ceramic tile books, by Michael Byrnes?,states that "code" dictates placing vapor barriers over(not under)sub-floors. He wrote that this only applies to lower-level/basement concrete slabs.

Your reply indicates that the vapor barrier should be placed between the slab and sub-floor. I am confused. Please reply. Thanks!

Old 04-18-00, 05:15 AM
Visiting Guest
My reply only addressed the need for a subfloor, not a vapor barrier. I never considered a vapor barrier for my floor. I decided against a subfloor and just went with a carpet and an 8-pound pad over the bare concrete. My floor is dry.

I've read many passages about vapor barriers. The experts don't agree with each other. You'll need to educate yourself and make your own informed opinion.

To help, do the moisture test. Tape a 3'x3' peice of plastic to the floor. Seal all the edges. Check it in a few days. If you have moisture between the plastic and the concrete, you have a moisture problem to deal with.

Old 04-18-00, 03:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Here's some good stuff to check on: http://ardex.com/link-comm.htm#flooring&wood

and yet another product that may work for you: http://rapidfloor.com/lrpl.htm

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: